Can I render a 2K render @ 2.39:1 - image output at 1920x804, without black bars?

Has anyone figured out an ‘anamorphic’ render without black bars?

2K render @ 2.39:1 - image output 1920x804 (without black bars)
4K render @ 2.39:1 - x2 = 3840x1608

1 Like

Had no problem doing that with the Movie Render Queue (if it doesn´t show up in your Window - cinematics settings, you probably need to activate it in your plugin settings).

I just created a CineCamera, changed it´s sensor widh and height to 23.9 and 10, to get the 2.39 Sensor aspect ratio, and then in the Movie Render Queue, i just typed in your resolution of 1920 x 804, and the 2k variant, and no black bars appeared.

A test picture, featuring some weird shadows:

2 Likes

Can I ask why my settings did not work? I had different camera sensor settings that equaled 2.391. And my camera rendered something that was not even in the editor viewport.

Thank you for sending your settings, I will use them. But would really like to know what I did wrong.

The 4k (3840x1608) can’t be the reason why the camera rendered something totally different?
The camera rotated 90 degrees. There are no keyframes on the camera.

The forum shrinked your picture a little bit too well, hard to read the numbers ^.^ so i tested it again with a second camera with 54.97 to 23, that results in 2.39:1 too.
So as long, as your sensor has settings, that get your desired aspect ratio, black bars should not appear, if you also render in a fitting resolution.
And same result, no problem, no black bars, the picture was just like zoomed out (but i guess, thats normal, i have no clue about cameras :sweat_smile: ).
Just make sure, that it also gets saved, and in doubt, just erase the old sequence, and create a new one, just to make sure, that no old settings are stored and not refreshed, that mess up your render.

About your camera rendering something out of view in the first frame, that was a bug, which should have been fixed. But it seems, it reappeared.

The usually easiest fix for this problem was, to either extend your sequence by one or two frames (like first frame is then -1), while your rendered sequence still starts at zero or 1. Or to just start at the second frame (dump the first frame), and make your sequence slightly longer.
Also no camera cuts in a sequence, just render each sequence individually in an extra track, since sometimes this also happens between camera cuts.

Here a more in depth video about that bug:

Fun fact, if you look at the number of my first test render, it is numbered 0001 :slight_smile: But Unreal sequences always start at picture number 0000 ^.^ I made it a habit to dump the first frame by always starting from 1 instead from 0, which would be the first frame.
100 images would go from 0 to 99, while my sequence would go from 0 to 100 (101 images), and render range would be 1-100 = 100 images, first one dumped, to make sure, that bug never appears.

1 Like

You are AWESOME!!! Thank you. This was the fix.