Can I program games on the unreal engine with knowledge of the C programming language?

Can I program games on the unreal engine with knowledge of the C programming language?

Unreal supports C++ and Blueprint (graphical flow) programming languages. Suggestion for anyone is to start with Blueprints anyway to start with. C++ of course is inherited much from C but is object-oriented so it will be familiar but also a little odd if you have no experience in it. So learning c++ will be required if you don’t want to program in Blueprint.

I have years of C++ experience, but I’m enjoying Unreal Engine’s Blueprints quite a bit. In the past, I have disliked visual programming systems and always reverted to text-based programming, but Blueprints is different. It is VERY well implemented and integrated with the engine.

You can get started creating your Unreal application right away with Blueprints and as part of the process, learn the differences between C and C++ as needed.

If you feel like it, you can start building up C++ knowledge with small bite-sized tasks, like writing a simple custom Blueprints node using the existing Unreal Engine examples and frameworks and start growing from there.

But my experience so far, Blueprints is very powerful and once you get a good grip on them (necessary for ANY UE4 development in my opinion), you can accomplish most of what you need to do without touching a line of text-based C++ code.

I would take your programing skills and make the transition learn blueprints. Like Lesiie_Spring I’m an experience programmer who has made the leap and its is worth the effort. Once over the initial culture shock you will be astonished by what you can get done quickly and won’t look back.

1 Like