Can i make an open world game in UE 4?

@GregBlast - would you be interested in setting up an example project? It seems like a lot of people want this functionality, but also have problems getting the initial setup going.

Don’t listen this dude, he clearly have no idea what he is talking, Unity is just a tool for kids compared with UE4. Or he is here to promote Unity … haha on Unreal forum!!!:))))

Yes, you can make a huge world with Unreal, also depends on what game type, are different scenarios, single player? Multi-player? You plan to use only on what UE4 comes with or you are able to write C++?

daaaaaamn right you can make mmo’s, fable legends and dead island 2 is open world i think but dead island is open world. plus its 4 player co op. so im sure you can make an open world mmo :slight_smile:

Since this thread is still near the top of the search results, for “Unreal Open World” and similar searches, we should have a note here setting the record straight: Unreal is now absolutely ideal for open world games.

If you have any concern, watch the 2015 GDC presentation at youtube/watch?v=clakekAHQx0 – the demo alone should sell it.

He’s right I’m currently working on an unannounced open world game created with Unity3D and I can tell you that we have a rather hard time to get it up and running with good performance and low loading times. Since we have no access to source code it’s very hard to optimize stuff for our needs. There are so many things missing here which we could really use in order to build the game that Unreal 4 has support for that we wished that at the time we started development Unreal 4 already announced its payment model.

I guess you could create an open world game with every engine you have source code access to but with some it would be a lot of work. An online multiplayer game even more so. I can tell you that an open world game on it’s own is a very large project and needs a lot of work to be done, but doing this online and dealing with all the hassle like collision detection, ai, cheating, lag compensation / interpolation and this while supporting a rather large amount of player is just so much more work. Eventhough Unreal 4 has built in multiplayer support I guess it won’t be very good for a lot of players (thats what one of the Lead Programmers told me @ GameCom last year anyway) so you would have to write other stuff by yourself like proximity lists in order to prevent too much bandwidth to be spend sending all the state updates to the players around and so on. You could use something like SmartFox as a standalone server solution, but this would confront you with a lot of stuff that is missing (physics, ai, data / asset handling like terrain and so on).

So I would highly advice against using Unity3D for an open world multiplayer game from my own experience because it confronts you with so much more hurdles. Unreal 4 isn’t perfect but has pretty good support for Open World Streaming methods as the others already mentioned + you always have Source Code access so it’s possible to highly adjust the engine to the needs of such an open world online game.

Please i want to study the c++ code for making an open world game please

I Think @Rifaath basically killed the thread with that post. But since that point has been made I would like to ask @Kiremos and other experts here.
How advanced should someone’s C++ knowledge (or any other language) should be in order to take the source code of UE4 and modify it to suite an open world game’s development?

This is coming from a guy like me who has very little coding experience and is basically a creative guy who has zero experience in coding anything. I do have resources with which I could hire people or spend a year or two learning things myself. So a point to the right direction would be very helpful here.

You can’t be serious about this; it’s trolling, right?! :rolleyes:

@OP, random fact: is easier to learn and create your own game engine from scratch than developing an “Open World” 3D game. Good luck.

Edit: just noticed the thread is old. And indeed, was a troll post :s

how can i make a open world single player game with random strutures

https://wiki.unrealengine/Open-world_online_game

the funny thing is all the batman arkham games is open world and they are made with unreal engine

Open world game isn’t a very descriptive term. I am a one-man team, and am working on an open-world MMO project right now. It is taking me a lot of research before delving into the core mechanics (To make sure it is done right the first time), but I have a year’s work ahead of me.