Can I "escape" the "dx11 level 10 required" error on Windows?

Hey guys. I have a game that was deployed some days ago for Windows and, unfortunately, some people could not run the game due to “DX11 level 10 required to run the engine” error. I asked for their “dxdiag” and indeed noticed that all people that had trouble didn’t have a gpu with d11 level 10 support.

This made me wonder if there are any alternative for these guys. I’ve already tried:

1. Packing with OpenGL 4(flag -opengl4) support to run the game, but as these PCs are actually really old, I’m concerned that they won’t also have support for opengl4… Also, the game hasn’t behaved nicely, due to flickering images, black screens and broken widgets. I’m assumming this is due to OpenGL.
  2. Using OpenGL3. Unfortunately, on 4.24 this is not possible anymore (I think). And I believe that I wouldn’t have any great results either.
  3. Trying to figure out how to target ‘dx10’ graphics card. I’ve searched for it on google and actually had found some people talking about using “-dxd10” flag to run the game and it should support dx10. However, some posts about this is really old and I don’t have the hardware to test this. I tried using it and the game seems to still use PCD3D_SM5. Can anyone confirm if this still a thing on 4.24+? Packing with “+TargetedRHIs=PCD3D_SM5” automatically gives me support for DX10 (using -dxd10 flag) or do I have to change to “+TargetedRHIs=PCD3D_SM4” and compile shaders for it?

At last, I was just wondering… I understand that UE4 recommends having at least DirectX 11 support to run the engine (and therefore, the game), and we are already considering saying to these guys “please upgrade your graphics card”. But at the same time, has anyone found any other way to fix this?

Cheers!

For anyone wondering this in the future, no, UE4 does not support dx10 and GL 3.3+ on 4.23+, sadly

1 Like