Can I create 4.22 compatible assets using newer version?

Or more generally, what is the asset management strategy when distributing a plugin that is to be used with multiple engine versions?

We are working on a plugin that we wish to distribute to our customers and this plugin contains a collection of assets. We have no control over which version of Unreal Engine that the end-user have other than that we can impose a lower limit, currently 4.22. Internally, while developing the plugin, we are using all versions from 4.22 to 4.24 and expect to include 4.25 as well once released.

How can we keep the assets compatible between all these versions? The obvious solution would be to always use the oldest (4.22) internally and then let the end-user upgrade/migrate the assets to whatever later version they are using, but there are quality-of-life improvements in later versions (4.24 in particular) that I would like to have in my daily work.

Is there a way to enable a 4.22 compatibility mode in newer editor versions so that any asset created or modified remain compatible with the older engine version? If not, what are my other options?

Hey,
As far as I am aware Unreal Engine is mostly forward compatible. So generally, anything you build with an older version of the engine can always be opened with a newer version. Simple assets like Static Meshes are both forward and backward compatible but blueprints and levels will usually not work in an older version of the engine if they were made in a newer version. I would recommend using the oldest version of the engine that has all the features you need to develop the plugin. But, I don’t think you need to worry about compatibility with newer engine versions if you’re developing in 4.22. That was just a quick response on my experience with transferring assets between versions, someone with more knowledge on engine compatibility might be able to give you a more concrete answer.

Hello, the best way i think, develop the lowerest 4.22 version and do every unique version for secondary engine versions (4.23, 4.24 and more). From the lower version, you can upgrade plugin but mb it’s will be not stable. Not good to down version it’s will be more problematic and something will not work like expected. Hope i helped you.