Can anyone think of a better control scheme for this?

I need to adapt the standard FPS control scheme to allow for the use of up to 4 different weapons at once. You need to be able to have 4 seperate buttons for the 4 weapons. The scroll wheel is already occupied.

The best I’ve come up with so far is using thumb mouse buttons in conjunction with left and right click as the four weapons. But not all mice have thumb buttons. The only other thing I can think of is using 1 2 3 4 as the weapon buttons and using left and right click for moving forwards and backwards, since moving sideways isn’t completely necessary. But this feels a bit wierd, and I would like to be able to move sideways as well, unless the thumb mouse buttons are for moving sideways, which also feels a bit wierd.

So can anyone think of a better control scheme?

You can use scroll up and scroll down as separate inputs IIRC.

OK, but I think that using the scroll wheel like a button input would be a bit of a last resort. What I have planned for the scroll wheel now actually utilizes it as an axis input.

How about standard WASD navigation for the movement, left and right mouse click for weapons 1 & 2, and then have the player hold down Shift with their pinky (or maybe the C key with their thumb) to make left and right mouse click fire weapons 3 & 4. Or you could just make the Shift and C keys fire weapons 3 & 4 directly.

I think I’ll try your second suggestion. Your first idea with holding shift wouldn’t work, or at least would be difficult to program and would probably be buggy or difficult to use, because you need to be able to use all of them at once. But the second one will work. I think I’ll make it shift and alt, because that’s a bit more comfortable.

THREAD CLOSED (however I do that)