Camera will not move

Hi. I am going through the “Your First Hour in Unreal Engine 4” and with the “Working with Additional Assets” step, I am working with the LearningKit_Games. I imported the map into my first project and it renders, but there is a problem.

Before, in the default (first) level that auto generates, I hit play and I can move around. If I use the right click on the mouse and move the mouse, I can change the camera view around the character. This is also how it works for the “LearningKit_Games_Showcase” when I click play.

However, in the tutorial, once I have moved the files over to my own project, when I click play, I can move around but the camera is locked in its initial position. I can not rotate it. It will follow the player around, moving up, down, left, right, forward and back. However it will not rotate. I can not find a setting to enable or disable what is wrong between this and the original file.

Can someone please help point out what is wrong?

it could be multiple things. In the character blueprint (im assuming this isthird person with a spring arm component holding the camera?) make sure the spring arm is set to use control rotation for pitch and yaw.

Also, are you using input nodes in your character blueprint? If you compile and they have the yellow ! that means they need to be readded, you can go to Edit > Project Settings > Input to readd them.

Also another thing, you may have had a different gamemode in the old project, if you go to Edit > Project Settings > Maps and Modes > click on the game mode and make sure its set to the same one used in the old project.

2 Likes

For anyone wondering - this is broken intentionally and fixed later in “Your First Hour in Unreal Engine” course in “Working with blueprints” section