Camera Shake - Need some advice!

I have a wall that randomly moves, but when it moves and the player is close, I want the camera shake to happen. I have a camera shake setup properly and it works by trigger…

I need help with 2 things…

I want it to be triggered as the player gets close to the wall, but also to increase the scale from 1 to 20 based on the distance from the wall…

I can setup a box trigger to start the camera shake, but is there a way to just turn it on or off instead of setting a duration?

I think this is my first post… so Hello!

May not help, but check this out -

Isn’t there specifically a function “play location-based camera shake”, designed for explosions, that automatically does this? Creates a fallout radius and within that radius scales the shake bigger and more extreme as you get closer to the epicenter?

How does that work? I can’t seem to find any info or examples for it…

OK… I seem to have got it working, but it’s no where near where I’d like it.

Can anyone explain exactly how the falloff works?

I’ve set the inner radius to 0 and the outer radius to 500 with the falloff to 0.1. As I come up to the position, it seems like it works, but once my camera is shaking, it seems like I have to go at least 3000-5000 away from the position before it finally stops.

Any help?

Well—and this is just a guess— it seems like the falloff suggests the scale relative to the epicenter.

So if the radius is 500 units and the scale is 0.1, having the shake finally null at 5000 seems mathematically sound. What happens if you set the falloff to 1?

If that was the case, then It should start shaking around 5000 from the point I would think, but it doesn’t. Seems like I have to get closer to have it start shaking, then once it’s shaking, I have to go further away to get it to stop, and even then, it’s like it has to wear off… I’ve tried a few different things… Even setting the inner radius to a larger value than the outer radius. I’ve tried going from .1 to 10 on the falloff. I just can’t seem to find an acceptable set of settings to use.

Seems like once you are shaking, It’s could be useful for some kind of drunk or drugged state, where it takes a bit to wear off… not really stop by a certain distance… Almost like the effect is based.

Wow… Please disregard that last post…

I just found out what I was doing wrong. In my Camera Shake Blueprint Defaults, I had the Oscillation duration set to 20 seconds. I had it set that way when I was testing with the camera shake triggered by a keypress… No wonder it took forever to wear off!

I changed it to 1 second and now it seems to work as I was hoping it should…

Tweaked a few more settings, and I’ve found exactly what I was looking for… I figured it’d be better if I posted a couple pics than trying to describe it…

This is perfect for me where I have a large stone slab wall sliding open across the floor. I wanted the player to really feel the mass of the wall… The shake may be too much for some or too little for others… For me it’s just about right… BTW, the hall that this wall is in is approximately 1000 Unreal units wide, so it’s a really big hallway. That’s why I chose 1500 for the starting point…