Camera animation deprecated, what do use now?

Picture says it all:

Matinee has been replaced with the level sequence:

The leftmost red asset in the picture I posted with my question is a camera animation sequence but:

1. It doesn’t contain the player camera and I don’t know how to add it.
  2. I can’t find a node to play it through the camera manager.

How did you make the sequence?

I right-clicked in the content browser and chose “Camera Animation Sequence”. But it contains a Cine Camera Track which doesn’t seem like a replacement for my question.

Sorry, I can’t even create one, must be a different engine version…

Hi.

The same question.

Editor says that Matinee will be deprecated, but camera anims functionality is based on it.

I can’t use sequencer animation for camera animation.

What should I do?

Bump for anyone that knows. I haven’t seen a replacement for Camera Anim, and with matinee going to be removed, it would be great if there was an alternative option for creating in game camera anims. Sequencer doesn’t seem like it provides the same functionality/results, or isn’t recognized by camera anim (because it isn’t.)

Level Sequence can animate almost anything, including Cameras. Matinee is deprecated, and Camera Anim is a specialization of Matinee, so for later versions of UE4 you must use Level Sequence instead.

Don’t be scared - I used Level Sequence to set up attack wave patterns for a top-down scrolling shooter. If it can do that, it can do your camera. The tricky part is figuring out how to make it reference the Camera you want to affect, during runtime. Once you figure that out, the rest should be easy.

I understand the strengths of using sequencer, but it feels more like overkill and unnecessary clutter from the limited info i’ve managed to gather so far looking into figuring out how to get the result I want. My main focus is on hand authoring some camera movements for a first person camera to go with the actions the player is doing, something easily done by using camera anims but made much more confusing and complicated with what im seeing with level sequence.

I understand that I’m supposed to use Camera Anim Sequences as a replacement, but the majority of info I can find on using them is directly related to using them in static cinematic focused events, and ends up providing a solution that requires more work for a less flexible solution. Practically, I need to access the camera anim sequence (cinecamera doesn’t seem to be working) directly from my player class(like camera anim allowed or something similar) and google hasn’t been very helpful on providing me with info on how to do that.

As far as I’ve found, there isn’t really any resource I have been able to find that gives me a similar functionality for what I’m looking for that was present before.

That’s a fair point.
I agree, it’s overkill for a simple camera movement. I guess you could go one step down from Camera Animation and use a Timeline, but it doesn’t give you that nice preview scrubbing (as far as I know), so maybe more trial-and-error to get it right.

Somebody needs to make a plugin for the Marketplace :slight_smile:

This is an excellent question. Sequencer doesn’t seem to be built for quick camera animations during gameplay, especially ones that feed into and out of dynamically modified data. The experimental “Actor Sequence Component” seems to be a slightly better fit, but I’m not sure that will end up being great for this either.

Did some of you guys found a solution on how to use the sequencer to animate the player camera? Until yet I didn’t find a solution or documentation about it…

Cinematics > Add new level sequence.

Rename your sequence. Select it.

Blueprints > Open level blueprint

In your level blueprint:

• Right click in the event graph and select "Create Reference to "
  • Drag out from the blue pin and type in Play, select the function “Play (SequencePlayer)”
  • Connect to your event (for me, BeginPlay)

Back in the main editor:

• Open your new sequence in Sequencer
  • Add a new camera cuts track – do not add a new camera yet
  • Hit the play button
  • Before possessing your Pawn (or, if you do, F8 to eject), scroll through your world outliner and select “PlayerCameraManager”
  • In Sequencer, add the runtime “PlayerCameraManager” to your Camera Cuts Track
  • Add the “TransformComponent” to the PlayerCameraManager
  • Add a transform track to your TransformComponent

Keyframe as you wish.

Note that, because neither of these objects exist before runtime, they will throw errors at you. Not to worry, keyframe your animation as you normally would and trigger your event to see it.