Calling C++ variables in Animation Blueprints

I am currently trying to learn how to use the Unreal engine editor, but I am having difficulties since I’m used to an all code based approach. I like using code only because it’s easy to know what’s causing the problem when something goes wrong, but using something like Unreal allows you to speed up the process once you understand how to fully use it. My question, as implied, has to do with calling a variable that I named in a c++ header file in an animation blueprint to use in a state machine. I created the following UPROPERTY:

UPROPERTY(VisibleAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = “Base Character”)
bool isDead = false;

However, from video and text tutorials that I have watched, I should be able to right-click and call “get IsDead” inside of a Animation Blueprint and promote it to a variable to use inside that animation’s state graph in a state machine to drive animation changes. I do not see this at all. If I look under the variables section after right-clicking, I do not even see the Category “Base Character” that I tagged it with. This DOES show up, however, in a regular blueprint, but not an animation blueprint.

I’m not sure if I missed a step somewhere or if this is a deprecated method and there is a different way of achieving the same functionality. Either way, I would appreciate any help finding a solution to the matter. I am currently using Unreal engine version 4.14.2.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Reloading the project and recompiling several times seemed to fix the issue. Pretty lame issue and solution. Nuke this thread at the moderators discretion.