Call Event In Child Actor BP

Hey, folks!
I’ve been scratching my head for a while this morning trying to do something that is almost certainly pretty basic. I’ve referred to a bunch of similar questions on the web, as well as the usual plethora of BP communication tutorials and have somehow still come up short (probably due to my understanding and not the content itself…).

I have a Child BP Actor RING (a ring mesh and vfx, with some variable functionality) inside of another BP Actor (any Actor that needs this ring effect with some of the variables customized (eg. different sizes and colours, etc.)). To get RING to show up when needed I toggle it’s visibility as needed within the parent BP that has the ring. Beautiful, this works great.

My question is - if I want to implement additional functionality that happens when the visibility is toggled on/off (say the material opacity fades up/down, as well as the mesh quickly scaling up/down with the switch to make it less jarring), and I don’t want to duplicate this additional functionality in between the on/off toggle of every parent Actor holding the RING, I would assume that I would put this functionality into the RING BP itself, along with the visibility toggle, and just call those events from the Parent BP holding RING.
…but I can’t seem to get this to work, and am not understanding the correct way to call the events?

Any help much appreciated :slight_smile:

You’ve censored so much of it I have no idea, but yes, you need the functionality inside the child.

Perhaps I was too heavy with the redacting… apologies!
I was directed towards “Get Child Actor” before casting to the BP in order to pull the correct info, and this does the trick nicely!

It’s a little tough to follow, yeah, but it sounds like you’re going through a roundabout way of making a custom blueprint component. So… Look into how you can make your own components? Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Yeah, here is a clip in case someone else comes looking. This thread helped me!

2 Likes