Cable component/actor not visible in Editor

Hello,

I have been using the cable component frequently for telephone poles and other urban wires as cosmetic props. However, upon rebooting Unreal4 the actor doesn’t appear in the Editor at all. It is only visible when the editor is in ‘Play’ mode. So it’s still there, but I cant get it to reappear in the editor view, making any type of edits to the cable very difficult.

It should be noted that the cable actor does work in other projects, just not in this particular project. If I were to load a new project, the cable actor would work fine in the editor.

This has been the case for a few weeks now, I have waited until now as I was hoping for a solution soon. I can’t seem to find anything on this subject apart from a small mention in a forum thread announcing the components release.

User ‘Sharpfish’ on page 1 mentions the exact problem I am having. This is the only mention of this problem that I can find.

Anybody have any ideas about this?

Thanks

Hi ,

I’m using 4.6.1

I cant remember when I last upgraded the project and from what version. So unfortunately, I cant remember if the version upgrade broke something or not

Hi FerdTheNerd,

What version of the editor are you currently using?

Hi FerdTheNerd,

What material are you using on your cable? Additionally can you show me your Details pane? I was able to see the Cable Component on my end.

Hi,

I have applied all kinds of materials (UE4 Default/Custom) to the cable having no effect. Here is an image of my scene with the details pane. In this instance I have applied the default M_Basic_Floor material http://i.imgur.com/b5fiaYP.png

The cable is on the right, which is attached to the Telephone pole on the left.

As I have said before it is only happening in this particular project. I can get it to work again in a clean project.

Try changing your end point location. See if the cable appears when you change the values of the end location in the Details Pane.

Changing the end location doesn’t make it reappear in the editor unfortunately. Though you can see the change once in play mode, which is still the only way I can actually view the cable

If you feel comfortable with it, I’d be happy to take a look at the project and see what may be occurring. Unfortunately I can’t seem to reproduce this effect on my end so I am not certain what steps to take to rectify the problem without further information.

Sure, its only a personal portfolio scene. What would be the best way for you to have a look? The whole scene is pretty large

If you upload it to a dedicated FTP server such as Dropbox I can pull it from the share able link. You can either post the link here or send it to me privately on the forums.

Will do, just a heads up its 5gb in size and Dropbox is telling 17 hours to upload. So it wont be until tomorrow, or after the weekend, that I’ll be able to send a link

I will be at the office tomorrow so if it is up I’ll take a look then, if not next week will be perfectly fine on my end.

Hi ,

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to upload the file over the weekend. Such a large file coupled with a sporadic internet connection meant it kept failing the upload after so many hours.
I’m guessing this is a pretty unique problem I am having. Could be a graphics driver issue. Will look into updating that. Also, I’m going to try and reinstall the UE4 engine and see if that helps at all

Hi FerdTheNerd,

I understand completely, after checking these, please let me know if the problem persists and we’ll continue attempting to locate the source of the error.

Hi FerdTheNerd,

We have not heard from you in a few days. I am marking this thread as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error, please comment with the requested information.

Hi ,

Fixed the problem!!
So after a week or so of tinkering (Updating drivers, reinstalling the engine etc) I found what was wrong. It was annoyingly simple in the end.

Somehow I disabled the Editor viewport ‘Realtime’ Function (CTRL+R) located at the top left of the viewport. This meant that nothing in the editor viewport was being simulated on-the-fly (Cables included) until I entered ‘Play’ mode. Re-enabling ‘Realtime’ brought all my cables back. Staring me in the face the entire time.

Leaving this comment in case anyone else makes the same stupid mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So THAT was the issues… Man do I feel stupid now. Thanks, fixed for me too.