C4D Smoothing Groups inconsistent

Hi Tim, I’ve made a small mistake, the build of the engine that reads C4D FBX correctly with 2 UVs is actually UE4.4.0, so you need to test the same FBX with UE4.4.0 and 4.5.0

Here’s two FBX’s (one is FBX 2013, and the other is FBX 2014 just incase you need em) and they both have two uv channels, Happy Testing :smiley:link text

Thank you for posting the spheres.

I was still not able to have smoothing groups in any of the following versions of the engine. My import settings were using the default settings and importing the normals with the FBX. The only difference was in 4.5 I unchecked the option to generate the Lightmap UV.

Here are my results:

4.4.0 (The one you suggested it was working with)

Let me know your thoughts on this before I consider this resolved.

Thank you!

Tim

I did more checking on this and I have the same results as @Tim Hobson. Modo actually says both 2013 and 2014 meshes have ‘Malformed’ normals so regenerates them (kind of what Unity does) Ideally Maxon do need to fix this, it is a problem between C4D and 3DS Max too luckily for us. I have reported it and uploaded meshes/screenshots etc. Of course UE could have a recalculate button… :wink:

Hi guys I’ve just seen this, I will post my engine screen shots when I get home from work :smiley:

Sorry I’ve been a bit absent, been busy getting the project back over to unity3d. This problem looks like it’s not going to get resolved anytime soon and the clock is ticking i’m afraid, cheers for the help Tim :smiley:

the solution is no use edge breaks in the phong tag!

no can do, I need edge breaks :frowning:

This plugin seems to do the trick … Loading...
Its $30 but tested and working perfectly using C4D R16 + UE4.13.

It uses FBX 2014.

https://postimg.org/image/hoef6etzh/

Sadly Cactus Dan passed away, and the site is not running anymore. :frowning:

Can we re-open this issue? I can’t get smoothing groups to work even on very small meshes (cilinders, spheres), in latest UE and C4D. No FBX version works.

When importing to Unreal = FBX import options → “Normal Import Method” = “Import Normals”

Have fun :wink:

Running into this same issue. As a total noob to UE4 this is very discouraging!