C-Media Advanced Material Pack Edition 2

Nice materials! Keep up the great work!

With the release of this pack on the marketplace i have actually been getting people emailing me just to tell me how much they love the materials!

I just wanted to say thank you all for the support and I’m glad you are enjoying the packs i have been submitting - I hope to have more good stuff in the not too distant future for everyone.

Quite a few people have been asking me if the Tessellated Material in this pack is the same Material i created for my old terrain demonstration.

It is a newer version of that material but with many improvements.

Quick question!

Can you tile the tessellated materials, say if I wanted to place multiple small planes to make up a floor, is there some way to get the tessellation and texture to join correctly at the edges?

Have also noticed that the tessellation goes wonky when you resize the plane it is in (I’m new to this advanced material stuff)

I love that ice material! Well done.

Hey sorry for the late reply, i didn’t see the notification until now.

You can enable ‘Relative Tiling’ on any of the materials and it will keep them world aligned as long as they’re on a horizontal surface - This way when you move/resize an object with the materialo n it you can peices multiple objects together and the materials will always line up.

As for the Tessellated Landscape Materials they can be sensitive so you have to make sure to be careful how you utilize them. I would recommend making the resolution of your landscape actor a bit higher if you scale it up and try to keep it as close to the resolution of the Landscape Actors in the demo as possible for the best results but you can lower it a bit without much loss in quality.

If you want to post a screenshot of what yours looks like i can get a better idea of what may be causing the issue.

Does anyone who has purchased this pack use OSX/MAC? If so please give me some feedback on how the Tessellated Landscape Material it is working for you, thanks!

FYI - The Advanced Displacement Material for Landscape Actors which is in this pack is now available on the Marketplace as a stand-alone purchase for those that might only want that material.

Actually, I just bought the pack. I’m on a mac, and when trying to use the ocean material, I’m getting an error saying:

shader user 17 samples exceeding the limit of 16.

This is under 4.7. Is this a known issue or did I do something wrong when I brought the pack into my test project? Cheers,

J^2

So, you were asking how the Tessellated Landscape material works on a Mac. Well, it doesn’t. On or off currently makes no difference. The landscape or any object I assign a tessellated material to stays as flat as ever. Is this using the DirectX 11 tessellation system? If so, it will never work on a Mac. Can you please verify if this is indeed the case? It’s not a deal breaker as the materials are still quite lovely, but one of my primary reasons for buying the pack was to get my hands on the tessellated ice. Of course, I can still use the ice as a flat material. It will just make me a little sad when I look at it and know would could have been…

J^2

Did some further digging and apparently tessellation just isn’t supported on OS X and there’s no word on if it ever will. So yeah. There’s that. Ah well. Still looks good. :slight_smile: Cheers,

J^2

Hey J.J - You’re correct, i just found out that the tessellation is not currently supported on OSX since it’s a DX11 feature and OSX utilizes OGL - There is no way to have a partial-support for OSX in the marketplace listing since none of the other materials should have an issue but i will ask Epic to put a note in there.

As for the Ocean material i haven’t tested the pack in 4.7 yet but i will do so soon and if there is an issue i will fix it and update the marketplace content accordingly.

So i just had the to compile the pack in 4.7 and it all works perfectly, the only thing i noticed is that the Subsurface Brightness parameter for the water material is more sensitive than it was in 4.6 for some reason.

Also - Please be sure that you are using the Material Instances rather than the actual **Material **within your project.

Will the landscape material work good on big landscapes like 1 square km? Also would be great to have more than 3 blend textures there. Otherwise, nice work

Exported Weightmaps

Hey Charleston,

I hope this is the right place to ask, I was wondering is it possible to use weight maps exported from World Machine with your paint layers? (Terminology may be wrong)

Thanks

Paul

@Kvazimodo - Yes, you will not want to use one large landscape component, you will want to use a decent-res landscape actor with multiple smaller components for larger levels - As for the texture set limit, this is due to the texture sample limit within UE4 and the way i had to setup the material to work correctly so there really isn’t much i can do about this right now.

@Paulhaydock1982 - If you’re referring to ‘Splatt Maps’ then yes, you can do this but i don’t have it setup within the material, you would have to add a node tree multiplying each of the texture set layer groups by the RGB channels in that splatt map like i have referenced in the below image for the Diffuse layer group - I would also recommend tying that splatt map to a tiling node tree so you can adjust it’s scale.

8bd38d48bc678eeb68b0c8235ddd4db5456da102.jpeg

Hi, I also would like to see splatmaps perhaps inplemented in later pack ed3 :slight_smile: Whats the difference between adding them in materialeditor as show in
your reference or adding them thru import in the layerinfo? as Ive seen some tutorials on youtube. If you can still paint on top of the splatmaps for final adjustments that would be really cool!!

The only difference is controlling them via the Material Instance or via the LayerInfo, they can be used either way.

Trying to get the snow landscape material to work in a relatively small snow scene landscape… Snow seems to be very repetitive and looks off. Have you had this working well on a small landscape?

Can you post a screen grab?

The texture sets i supplied with the example scene are just for demonstration purposes and you might want to use higher resolution maps with the material.