C++ and Swift Interoperability for Unreal Engine: Would there be interest in using Swift for Unreal?

Hello everyone,

With the recent announcement for the new Carbon Language, I wanted to post this and start a discussion and gather information related to using the Swift Language for Unreal Engine development.

A few months ago this workgroup was started for the Swift community: Swift.org - C++ Interoperability Workgroup

It is still in the experimental stage, and would need to evolve quite a bit further for Swift to be used for Unreal.

That being said, would there be interest in using Swift for Unreal?

1 Like

Defo! I’m a Swift fanboy, but stuck with C++ here. IMO C++ in Unreal is cumbersome, confusing and undocumented. Swift would make me want to code much more rather than use Blueprints.

1 Like

I know this is pretty old, but my company would be very interested in using Swift for UE development if that was a possibility. And this is coming from someone that’s been an avid Unreal XR developer for almost 10 years now, using mostly blueprints, and C++.

We’ve been learning some Swift recently for VisionOS development, and it’s been pretty painful to say the least (on the VisionOS side), but we do really enjoy Swift’s syntax when compared to C++. With the VisionOS integration still being pretty early in the UE main branch, and official support inevitably arising in the future, I think there will certainly be more interest among developers wanting to enter the Vision ecosystem. I think if developers that might be coming from native iOS have the option to develop with cutting edge tools in UE for Apple platforms using a more approachable (and native) language like Swift, then that would be a huge win; especially considering UE now has official Apple silicon support for Nanite & Lumen.

I see that the Interop Workgroup is still quite active, so definitely let someone know that there’s some interest. Really hope this can become a possibility in the future!

1 Like

Would love to see Swift in Unreal. C++ is long in the tooth and is, to be frank, painful and creaky.