BURNER - A 3D Environment Showcase

Hello Everyone! My name is Tancredi Cavallari and I’m here to present my next project as an Environment Artist.

BURNER is a 3D Showcase setted between 1975 and 1984.
A murder has been committed in the small town of Reno, Nevada, right before the arrival of the police. A Chevrolet Malibu from 1971 has been left unattended in a small parking lot. The vehicle is opened and covered in blood.

The project proposes a modern setting visually inspired by movies, TV shows and games such as:

• Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul
  • Alan Wake 2
  • L.A. Noire
  • True Detective
  • El Camino

The first step was to create the initial blocking for the scene, with elements such as the main asset (Malibu 1971), dumsters, trash, buildings and ventilation systems.

For the references, I created a PureRef document with all the elements and the general view of the scene.

Week 01

On the first week I started the modeling process for the Chevrolet Malibu.
The first Step consisted in creating the general shape and parts for the car, focusing only on the external part of the asset. On the next week I will optimize the asset, fix the general shape and complete the modelling step.

As part of the update, I fixed the bookmarks over the Unreal project and modified a couple of assets in the scene, such as the roof ventilation systems, Skybox settings and the general materials disposition for the blocking.

Finally, I updated the general Reference Moodboard for the project.

1 Like

Hi there @UgandaVince ! Welcome back to posting with us here on the forums!

Looking over your initial concept as well as your current updates, I think you’re off to a fantastic start. While Reno is a lovely city, it never gets enough love or representation like a bunch of others to in media. I’m very excited to see where you go with the continuation of this project. Keep up the amazing work!

1 Like

Week 02

Hey Everyone! Back with a weekly update for my new project BURNER!

So, during the week I managed to completed the modeling process for the Chevrolet Malibu, along with the UVs and a first (although not complete) texturing path.
I plan to finish the external part next week so I can start modeling the interns!
The car paint is not definitive so I will probably come back to it.

Along with the main asset, I fixed a couple of elements in the main scene, most of all the implementation of a new building that will close the scene without leaving it open to the skybox. I also replaced a bookmark with a top down view of the parking lot and imported the new updated model to the scene.

Week 03

New updates for the project!
I finished the external modeling for the Chevrolet Malibu and implemented it in the scene.
The color is still not definitive but so far I’m not complaining about it.

I Also managed to complete a few props such as trash cans, pizza boxes and wood crates. The scene is slowly taking shape after a couple of weeks and I’m happy with the vision!

Finally, I’ve updated the lighting of the scene with a first general step and started the modeling process for the car’s interns.
Here are a bunch of bookmarks for the scene.

Week 04

Here are the updates of the last week!
I finally managed to fix the textures of the Chevrolet: I basically adjusted the general roughness and created a more realistic dirtness all around the main body of the vehicle.
I used the asphalt and the sand as the main references, since the scene is setted in the middle of Nevada.

I also started and finished the modeling process for the car interns, so for the next week I will finally be able to texture it and close (at least for a bunch of weeks) the focus on the car.

1 Like

Week 05

New week new updates!
I finished the texturing process over the externals of the car, with new dirt and dust textures on the wheels, glasses and the main body.

I started a first texturing path for the interns in order to add as mush details as possible. I’m planning on finishing it by next week.

I also managed to implement the inters in the scene and create a couple of new bookmarks for them.

1 Like

Hi there @UgandaVince !

Out of curiosity, how did you do the weathered detailing on the car? The aged look is so realistic I’m quite curious how you got yours to look so cool.

Thank you! I made the details using different generators on 3D Painter such as curvature, ambient occlusion and light. Then I used some of the noise maps already present in the main library of the software. At the end is always a trial & error process!

1 Like

Week 06

New Updates!
On this week I managed to complete a second path over the textures for the Chevrolet Interns, but I’m going to put that asset in pause in order to focus more on the Environment and the other assets.
That’s why I started by creating a couple of new elements: a Metal Gate for the small alley and the back wall of the dumpster’s section.

I then created a first showcase sequence heavily inspired by Vince Gilligan’s direction in the Breaking Bad TV Series. The shots are not definitive so I’m surely going to change it multiple times in the next months.

Finally, here’s the updated collection of Bookmarks.

Week 07

Big updates this week!
I decided to speed up a little bit with the environment so I created a bunch of assets: dumpsters, ventilation units, grounds and decals.

Then I started and completed the first building of the environment: I created a modular kit for the main structure, then I added windows and pipes, along with a couple of textures adjustments to make it more full of details as possible.

I decided to come back on the car cause I wanted to finish the first general path over the interior’s textures. I will come back later on to complete the final touches.

Finally, Here are the Bookmarks of the scene, with all the new updates and fixes. Now It’s finally starting to get along with the initial idea!

1 Like

Hi there @UgandaVince,

Hope you’re well and having a wonderful week so far :slight_smile:

All the detail on the building and debris is making this environment come to life. It’s the ruggedness of the car itself, however, that captures my attention immediately. Lots of talent displayed here.

I look forward to seeing your next update!

1 Like

Week 08

New Updates for the week!
I added new modular kits to the environment and created two more buildings on the left side of the scene.

I worked on the Showcase sequence and now the shots are way more focused on the environment itself. It’s not completed yet, but now it’s showing more details of the scene.

I also worked on the 3rd Person Sequence. The frame rate is stuck between 30 and 40 fps, so it will definetely need a lot of optimization.
For now the foundation should help understand the take I want to give to it, heavingly inspired by games like Alan Wake 2 and The Last of Us.

I also managed to fix a bunch of the Bookmarks and updated a little bit the lighting system, that is still rough and really basic anyway.
I’m planning on working on that as soon as I’ve finished the buildings, since I want to have a clear view over the general result.
Here are the updated shots.

Week 09
This week I decided to focus entirely on the environment’s illumination.
I took a bunch of references as main inspiration, most of all the Bright Falls Environment from the recent Alan Wake 2:

In order to achieve this kind of tones and lightning system, I used multiple spots and rectangles trying to blend lumens and RTX systems. The actual result is just a first path, but for now I’m pretty satisfied with the result, especially on the car.
I also managed to add more decals and water puddles to the scene, in order to fill the main parking lot ground.
Here are the final results and bookmarks.