Buoyancy

Hi, I am creating a game level, where there is a pier. I put a picture here

1. I will create the lower level of the pier as floating in the sea.
  2. The upper level of the pier as static.
  3. For the staircase which is going from upper level to lower level - this is the part where I stuck. It has to be tied with both sides, so it should not be separated when the lower level or the upper level, when the lower level simulates the buoyancy.

Can someone please help me how to achieve this. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

This one is really interesting. I am giving this a follow.

Thank You Stephanie

You can just use constraints inside a blueprint (made of separate static meshes).

The Buoyancy simulation will then drive the staircase position.

I would suggest splitting the 2 docks and making both go up/down with different Buoyancy calculated off their geometric centers.
There’s probably no point in sampling more than a single point - aside because performance is a thing, because a dock isn’t a boat. You’d have to sample around 20 points each if you start down the rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,
Thank you, I will try using constraints.
About splitting the 2 docks, Yes, I will apply different buoyancy for them.
By the way, I don’t understand about the points. You said to use one single point, but will it not just flip the dock upside down. I used 4 points for the boats around. Shall I not use the same for the docks also, I guess it will not affect the performance.

Regards,

Depends on your solver and how you apply the buoyancy.
ON a custom implementation where the C++ function returns the height of the wave at the spot you query, you just directly set the dock world Z to that value. Nothing else needs to be done for it to work right since it will all go up and down even.

1 Like