Building UE 4.27 fails due to missing Physx headers on Microsoft Windows

This will be fixed in 4.27.1. If you pull in the latest changes from the “4.27” branch on upstream then you can get the fix now. I’ll be interested if you run into the problems I’m still having, which are to do with building UnrealFileServer.

OK that worked Thanks!! Novice question… I rebuilt HeadlessChaos and it succeeded… is there a way to run a UE4 build but not go thru everything again…it just builds the ones that failed last time ? It took almost 2 hours to go thru 4000 modules :slight_smile:

Cool! Do you get any errors when building the UnrealFileServer under the Programs folder? If you want to just build stuff that failed you can just do Build Solution and that should only run the stuff that failed (and its dependencies if any of those changed or failed).

I still get tonnes of errors . Haven managed a clean build yet for days trying

38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Components/ActorComponent.h(375): error C3668: 'UActorComponent::GetWorld': method with override specifier 'override' did not override any base class methods
38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/Level.h(757): error C3668: 'ULevel::GetWorld': method with override specifier 'override' did not override any base class methods
38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\GameFramework/Actor.h(2912): error C3668: 'AActor::GetWorld': method with override specifier 'override' did not override any base class methods
38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\Subsystems/WorldSubsystem.h(24): error C3668: 'UWorldSubsystem::GetWorld': method with override specifier 'override' did not override any base class methods
38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/World.h(1650): error C2065: 'FAsyncPreRegisterDDCRequest': undeclared identifier
38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/World.h(1650): error C2923: 'TSharedPtr': 'FAsyncPreRegisterDDCRequest' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'ObjectType'
38>  V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/World.h(1650): note: see declaration of 'FAsyncPreRegisterDDCRequest'
38>V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine/World.h(1650): error C2976: 'TSharedPtr': too few template arguments
38>  V:\UnrealEngine\UE427\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates/SharedPointer.h(560): note: see declaration of 'TSharedPtr'

And so on. in Unreal File Server

I do get a tonne of errors. (Havent had a successful build yet…)

Looks like what I’m getting too. I’m convinced there is a fundamental problem with 4.27 that Epic hasn’t picked up on yet. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a way to engage them directly, so we’re pretty much screwed until we get lucky with an update on the 4.27 branch I think.

HAve you had a look in here Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-124648)
Will have a try a bit later tonight

Well, yeah, of course excluding the troublesome project(s) gets around the issue, but it’s not a proper fix :slight_smile:

ha… it did compile and editor is starting up for first time…I dont know the ramifications of not having those particulse project modules though :slight_smile:

The most important stuff is in the UE4 solution. Out of the Programs you can probably get away with just UnrealLightmass for the most part, so you’ll probably be fine. I’m just being pedantic about my project because it’s a hobby project and I want a pristine engine :slight_smile:

My UE5 source and UE4.27 source compiles perfectly without any errors
But when i create my blueprint project and add c++ class and then copy the target file to make server file and do all other stuff to then build the Solution for Development Editor , i’m getting the same 48 or 49 list of errors and i don’t know what to do, i have built unreal 5 and 4.27 two times on two different PCs and nothing seems to work
Followed all the instructions
updated the visual studio 19
installed nudget, windows sdk and everything else, nothing seems to work and its been a week
please help me!

My UE5 source and UE4.27 source compiles perfectly without any errors But when i create my blueprint project and add c++ class and then copy the target file to make server file and do all other stuff to then build the Solution for Development Editor , i’m getting the same 48 or 49 list of errors and i don’t know what to do, i have built unreal 5 and 4.27 two times on two different PCs and nothing seems to work Followed all the instructions updated the visual studio 19 installed nudget, windows sdk and everything else, nothing seems to work and its been a week please help me!

One thing is important, DO NOT click build in the toolbar directly. This way the compiler cannot locate some headers.
I solved my problem by RIGHT CLICKING on the UE4(UE5) project and then clicking build option that pops up.
(right, I am an idiot… I clicked the build button in the toolbar)

Didn’t work for me. I had already installed nuget package manager and rest of newly added dependencies(unreal installation…) but still having same issue. Although it compiled just fine on Mac OS

there’s no difference between pressing build on the toolbar, and right clicking and pressing build on UE4/5 project. You just didn’t have your startup project set to UE4/5. Right click the UE4/5 project > set as startup project

Fixed this by making sure the 4.27 engine is NOT the startup project. You must make a valid UE4 project the startup project. The Engine does not build by itself with the deprecation of PhysX, it requires the Chaos Plugin, which it can get from a project.

Had a lot of trouble with this (literal days of compiling)… After solving the Nuget problems etc and installing a different SDK, it still didn’t work, getting the same errors as above^… I was using I think a ‘too modern’ sdk. not sure…

Make sure to uninstall old SDKs and that you are using an appropriate windows 10 sdk. Then, in solution explorer in visual studio rightclick and select retarget solution, this should show you’ve selected the right sdk from the visual studio installer. Good luck! I Hope I save you some pain :(.

Had a lot of trouble with this (literal days of compiling)… After solving the Nuget problems etc and installing a different SDK, it still didn’t work, getting the same errors as above^… I was using I think a ‘too modern’ sdk. not sure…

Make sure to uninstall old SDKs and that you are using an appropriate windows 10 sdk. Then, in solution explorer in visual studio rightclick and select retarget solution, this should show you’ve selected the right sdk from the visual studio installer. Good luck! I Hope I save you some pain :(.

It’s not working.
I use UE4.27 with VS 2019 16.11.3 and SDK 10.19041.0
Installed both Nuget components.
I also tried installing SDK 10.22000.0 but it didn’t work (i even created more problems when I reverted to 10.19041.0)
The log is same as here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-124648) but it’s marked as Duplicate without any solution. I’m currently not use UnrealFileServer but it’s a pain in the *** to see those errors. It compiled without any errors in 4.26 though
Any news on this?

UnrealFileServer depends on NetworkFileSystem which, in 4.27, now depends on Engine.

But UnrealFileServer.cs sets this:
bCompileAgainstEngine = false;

Which causes the WITH_ENGINE marco to evaluate to 0.

And that causes all the problems building the file server.

3 Likes