Building Dedicated Server for Mac

Hey,
I’ve been trying to build out a dedicated server for OS X so that I can test it and load it onto the only extra machine I have for testing, but I can’t seem to find any documentation or instructions to get it to work. I’ve tried creating my own target file from the wiki ( I did edit it so Mac was one of the platforms that it supported) but I couldn’t get it to appear in Xcode. Do I need to compile the engine from source to do this? I opened up Unreal Frontend to try and do it there, but when I select the server target and run it, the build fails because it needs command line arguments that I can’t seem to give it. Specifically this:
Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationUtils.Automation: Server target not found. Server target is required with -server and -cook or -cookonthefly

Is there any way to do this? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are steps to check the networking capabilities for your project. If these steps do not help you, please submit the error logs that you’ve gathered and attach them with your next reply. Thanks!

In order to build a gameserver and gameclient, please do the following:

• Open UnrealFrontEnd
  • Create a new Custom Launch Profile
  • Set the Custom Launch Profile configuration to the following:
  • Set the project
  • Set the build configuration to development
  • Check the box for Build UAt
  • Cook by the book
  • Cook platforms should be selected for MacServer and MacNoEditor
  • Select your maps to Cook
  • Select Package and Store Locally for Packaging
  • Select do not deploy for deploying
  • Select the back button at the top of the Custom Launch Profile settings window
  • Launch the new Custom Launch Profile

If you’d like to transfer your game client to multiple computers, you can do the following:

• Navigate to the game project > StagedBuilds folder
  • Copy the MacNoEditor folder to the network
  • Copy the MacNoEditor folder from the network onto a separate Mac computer

To connect to your game client or game server, follow these steps:

• Open a new terminal
  • Navigate to your gameserver.app on the first Mac machine
  • Enter ‘open’ into the terminal
  • Drag the gameserver.app into the terminal
  • Add ‘–args /game/maps/LEVEL -log’ to the end of the command in the terminal
  • Press Enter inside the terminal to start the game server
  • Open a new terminal
  • Navigate to game.app on two additional Mac computers
  • Enter ‘open’ into the terminal
  • Drag the game.app into the terminal on both client computers
  • Add ’ --args -log’ to the end of the command in the terminal on both client computers
  • Press Enter inside the terminal to start the game client on both client computers

Unfortunately that did not work and still yielded the same error. I’ve attached the error log. Is the because I havent compiled from from source?

[link text][1]

80521-projectlauncher.log (5.96 KB)

You should be able to create this from the binary version of the engine. Could you please attempt this in a new project as well as in a different version of the engine? Provide those output logs too so that we can compare. :slight_smile:

Hey ,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you!

This doesn’t work for me on a Mac. I’ve tried on multiple versions, most recently

At

“Launch the new Custom Launch Profile”

I always get

ERROR: Stage Failed. Missing receipt ‘/Users/Shared/epic_games/UE_4.21/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Server.target’. Check that this target has been built.
(see [/Users/rescorcio/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/Log.txt][1] for full exception trace)
AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=103 (Error_MissingExecutable)
RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.

All I have done to generate this is

1. download 4.21.2
  2. create a new project from the samples
  3. follow the directions above

Have you confirmed these instructions work on a Mac?

277926-log.txt (871 KB)