Building a road?

Hello,

I have been using MODO and I’m really good at most things so far till now. I’ll soon be posting the project I’m on but I am stuck on what seems simple but It’s not…I’m needing a city cobble street with side walks but I can not figure out the best way to do this…I have tried making it with boxes ect…but can anyone give me advice on the best way to do this? I saw some on youtube using maya and 3dsmax and using splines but I’m needing higher quality, not just a planner textured skinned road. I’m aiming for Witcher 3 city streets type quality…

Thanks in advance guys/gals.

You could model a segment of the road including pavement and what else you need and use splines on that?
Or if you want more variation, model several segments, that has same start and end, so they meld seamless, and then choose a random addition when adding new mesh in the spline.

A basic piece of road including pavement on a spline, and base mesh as seen to the right :slight_smile:

Dunno if this helps :slight_smile:

thanks :slight_smile: this helped but what was your segment sizes? in ft? street, side walk? just to give me a idea

i just googled “road dimensions” and found a lot of info under pictures.
I believe this one is about 3 metres (think that is about 10 ft.) per lane. The pavement is just modelled by what i felt looked appropriately.
But google is your friend for the dimensions :slight_smile:

thanks that link is just what I needed :slight_smile: I figured google lol was just wondering if I was over thinking it and I guess I was :stuck_out_tongue:

The easiest solution is sometimes… well the easiest :smiley: Glad i could be of help.