Build Lighting from command line

I am trying to build lighting for my map from the command line, on a remote Ubuntu 20.04 server that I am ssh’d into. Not having any luck…

(Side Note: this server also succesfully runs my packaged game instances, which I access via PixelStreaming).

cmd%> ./UE4Editor-Cmd  -run=resavepackages -buildlighting -quality=Production -AllowCommandletRendering  -Map=<MyMap> -unattended

The warnings i receive:

• LogRHI: Warning: Could not detect DISPLAY or WAYLAND_DISPLAY environment variables

• Message dialog closed, result: Cancel, title: Message, text: Failed to load Vulkan Driver which is required to run the engine.

• The engine no longer fallbacks to OpenGL4 which has been deprecated

Configuration

• UE 4.27.1 compiled from source
  • Linux: 5.8.0-43-generic #49~20.04.1-Ubuntu
  • NVIDIA-SMI 465.19.01 Driver Version: 465.19.01 CUDA Version: 11.3
  • Vulkan Instance Version: 1.2.131
  • and vulkan utils is installed.
  • echo $DISPLAY returns

Thanks in advance, happy to post any logs if it helps.

1 Like

Follow up, tried to run the same command on the host (without ssh). and it appears to run but crashes with the following errors:

• LogInit: Error: Timed out waiting for the recipient (TimeWaitingSec = 60.011565) Assertion failed: CurrentThread == GetCurrentThread(
    [File:/home/wurrego/develop/github/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp] [Line: 1470]

• Assertion failed: CurrentThread == GetCurrentThread() [File:/home/wurrego/develop/github/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp] [Line: 1470]

• Assertion failed: CurrentThread == GetCurrentThread() [File:/home/wurrego/develop/github/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp] [Line: 1470]

• LogContentCommandlet: Error: [REPORT] Failed building lighting for /Game/Maps/MyMap

• LogContentCommandlet: Error: [REPORT] Failed building lighting for /Game/Maps/MyMap

• LogStaticLightingSystem: Warning: Failed to build lighting!!! Lighting build failed.

• LogStaticLightingSystem: Warning: Failed to build lighting!!! Lighting build failed.

• STUBBED: FUnixPlatformProcess::TerminateProc() : Killing a subtree is not implemented yet at /home/wurrego/develop/github/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Unix/UnixPlatformProcess.cpp:1278 (TerminateProc)

The above error, timeout when building static lighting seems related to this post:
lightmass-static-lightning-timed-out-asserts

i did try disabling ufw and enabling multicast with the following commands:

• sudo route add -net 230.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev lo
  • sudo ifconfig lo multicast

neither of these fixed the problem.

Did you find a solution to this problem?