Build HLODs in a main level containing multiple level instances

Hi,

I’m in the process of optimizing my game by activating level streaming on a World Partition level. I am on Unreal Engine 5.3. But I can’t find a way to make HLODs work properly in my situation. Let me explain:

One of the main gameplay feature of my game is to be able to travel from place to place using an alien device. So I created a main level containing the transport device, and at runtime when the user wishes to change location, I unload the previous data layer and load the next one. Those data layers are bound to level instances in order to separate properly my locations, and not having everything in my main level. So in my level instances, I have landscapes, actors, etc. This architecture is also very practical because several people can work together, each working on one of the level instance separately without repercussion on each other work.

The landscapes in my level instances are quite big, so I wish to build hlods so that only a portion of the level instance is loaded at runtime, but we can still see the distant mountains, foliage, etc.

When I build the HLODs separately in each of my level instance, it works when I play inside those level with the editor. But when I play inside the main level, the whole level is loaded without HLODs, even though level streaming is activated.

When I build the HLODs in the main level (using the menu Build / Build HLODs), it does not build HLODs for my level instances, only actors directly in my main level.

I have a potential solution, but I don’t like it very much: I could put all my landscapes in the main level, and bind them to their corresponding datalayers. And the level instances will contain everything else except the landscape. Then I could build HLODs in my main level and it would work (I think).

But maybe I just didn’t see the option that would make it work properly in my level instances. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you very much!