Build from source failed (Code 3)


I’m having some problems with building UE4 from source that is found on github…
So far i followed the exact steps that are described here: Building Unreal Engine from Source | Unreal Engine Documentation

I’ve been able to fork the files from your repo and used the setup and the GenerateProjectFiles batch files. After that I followed the the next steps regarding VS. The problem is, that after trying to build the engine for the first time I got the first “errors”, which means 2 out of 3 things succeeded to be compiled. But when I tried to startup the engine, I got several errors which quickly aborted the entire operation… Rebuilding the engine didnt work (Code 3), and trying to startup the engine prompted several notifications that the build contained errors, resulting in a final error that the Editor.exe does not exist… So far I dont see anything that could have gone wrong (I’m using VS2015, but I’m gonna try it with VS2013 again)
Any advice?

Hey sixcoresecond-

Which version of the engine are you attempting to build? If you are using the master or promoted branches from GitHub, try using the Release branch instead and let me know if you have the same issue. Also, what was the error reported the first time you attempted to compile? Knowing what the exact error is will help identify where the problem is.


I’m using the current release branch (27. 11. 15.)
the first error occured when i switched to DevelopmentEditor, indicated that the component “RPCUtility” could not be found… the second one was when i tried to build the engine through VS2013
error MSB3073: The command “…\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex” was aborted with Code 3. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets … this one occured also when i switched back to VS2015… so i couldnt build it at all right now

I was able to solve the problem by correcting the paths inside the solution properties of UE4 under the NMake tab. Basically I switched the “…/…” part with the exact path and it worked ^^