Build for IOS on Mac with free developer account. HELP

Ok, I have spent a lot of time reading and tearing my hair out and I still can’t get it to work.

I have Unreal installed on a Mac with Xcode 10.1 and have a free developer account. I’m trying to build the FaceARkit sample project.

I created a dummy VRkit project in Xcode which created a provisioning profile that Unreal seems to recognize ok. I was able to deploy this dummy app to my iPhone and it runs ok.

I’ve assigned the profile and everything in the unreal project settings and build process seems to run normally and then I get the errors below. Is there some way to fix this or is the only way to get a paid apple developer account? I saw some postings that suggested you could “rename” the profile but they were not very clear as to how to do this or if it required an apple account.

=== BUILD TARGET FaceARSample OF PROJECT FaceARSample WITH CONFIGURATION Development ===

Check dependencies
Code Signing Error: Provisioning profile “iOS Team Provisioning Profile: kangaroo.test” is Xcode managed, but signing settings require a manually managed profile.
Code Signing Error: Code signing is required for product type ‘Application’ in SDK ‘iOS 12.1’

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
Check dependencies
(1 failure)
Took 67.962846s to run env, ExitCode=65
ERROR: CodeSign Failed
(see /Users/gcorson/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/Log.txt for full exception trace)
AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=32 (Error_FailedToCodeSign)
RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.

I’ve spent 3 days trying to build out of the engine with a legit purchased apple dev account, certificates, provisions, keys etc. with still no success. But I am on a pc not a mac so that probably doesn’t help either. I am thinking of getting an apple in hopes that makes packaging easier but the last thing I want to do is spend $800 on a low end macbook air and still be in an apple packaging abyss.

My experience: Cannot build to ios without paid developer account.

Are you doing it from a pc or mac? I’ve yet to successfully build to iOS and put on phone from pc with a paid developer account.

The provisioning profile system is really confusing in general, it should work somehow to test on PC but it has to be set up correctly.
You do need a paid developer account to build apps to a device in the first place though. You also absolutely need a Mac to be able to submit to the app store when you’re finished.

About FaceARSample.
I was able to test the project after a lot of work.
First I do not have a Mac to compile. I had to install a virtual machine on Windows.
If you’re on the same local network everything gets easier.
After all the Apple bureaucracy I was able to run in version 20.3 of Unreal. However, it did not work on the .21 version and I just tested on .22 and it also did not run.

Error:
Play in editor start time for / Game / Maps / UEDPIE_0_FaceTrackingMap_Simplified -0.107
Blueprint Runtime Error: “Accessed None”. Blueprint: KiteBoyHead_JointsAndBlends_AnimBP Function: Run Ubergraph Kite Boy Head Joints and Blends Anim BP Graph: EventGraph Node: Set OriginalTransform