Build for iOS (iPhone) without Developer Account from a Mac or Windows device

If I wish to package for an iOS device, more specifically an iPhone 12. I have a Mac and a Windows PC I am able to use for building / packaging the game. I wish to do so without an Apple Developer Account.

I get a code signing error explaining that I require a provisioning profile which is expected when packaging for iOS. This makes the process exit with an error:

UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): Code Signing Error: "UE5" requires a provisioning profile. Select a provisioning profile in the Signing & Capabilities editor.
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): Code Signing Error: Code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'iOS 13.6'
PackagingResults: Error: "UE5" requires a provisioning profile. Select a provisioning profile in the Signing & Capabilities editor.
PackagingResults: Error: Code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'iOS 13.6'
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): ** BUILD FAILED **
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): The following build commands failed:
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS):    Check dependencies
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): (1 failure)
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): Took 12.849020000000001s to run env, ExitCode=65
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): ERROR: CodeSign Failed
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS):        (see /Users/cassandragavelin/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/Log.txt for full exception trace)
PackagingResults: Error: CodeSign Failed
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): AutomationTool executed for 0h 1m 40s
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=32 (Error_FailedToCodeSign)
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully. Exited with code: 32
PackagingResults: Error: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully. Exited with code: 32
PackagingResults: Error: Failed to Code Sign

What I have tried:

• I have tried to package the project for iOS.
  • I have tried to launch the project with my iPhone connected to the Mac.

Both return the same packaging error as listed above.

What I have tried on a second pass:

• I have tried to generate a provisioning profile using Xcode, but get this error now:
LogPlayLevel: Error: Code Signing Error: Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: test.test" is Xcode managed, but signing settings require a manually managed profile.

What I have tried on a third pass:

• I turned on the feature to use Xcode to handle signing and entered my Team ID, which have lead me to finally build the actual .ipa file, but I get this error as the executable is building for the iPhone:
LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: Install failed. Got error "ApplicationVerificationFailed" with code 0xe8008015: Failed to verify code signature of /var/installd/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.v6j2in/extracted/Payload/UnrealGame.app : 0xe8008015 (A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found.)

The plan is to only use the app on one specific iPhone, and will not be uploaded to the apple store, or any other location. Is there a way to package for iOS without a provisioning profile, or generating one without a Developer Account?

Any help regarding the subject will be appreciated!

Yey, I managed to package an Unreal Engine project on a Mac for iPhone 13 without joining the actual Apple Developer Program. It was a rather simple process once I realized the full workflow.

I resolved the issue by removing the .xcodeproj in the Unreal Engine source files and packaged the project again. Apparently the .xcodeproj doesnā€™t automatically recreate itself when recompiling, keeping the old provisioning profile. It does make sense in the sense that you can only create 10 new provisioning profiles per week.

Feel free to contact me at: contact@elias-wick.com if you need consulting regarding this subject.

1 Like

Hi, im using ue5.3.1 trying to package iOS(iphone) has been having the same issue

error: ā€œUnrealGameā€ requires a provisioning profile. Select a provisioning profile in the Signing & Capabilities editor. (in target ā€˜UnrealGameā€™ from project ā€˜UnrealGameā€™)
UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): ** BUILD FAILED **
PackagingResults: Error: ā€œUnrealGameā€ requires a provisioning profile. Select a provisioning profile in the Signing & Capabilities editor. (in target ā€˜UnrealGameā€™ from project ā€˜UnrealGameā€™)

can u tell me more where is the . xcodeproj file located?

Itā€™s been a while since I did this, the file is located within the Engine files, where you installed the engine version on your PC. It should tell you where it is located in your log, when looking for errors. The error you have written here is not showcase the path to the file that is causing the error.

Creating a whole new project and packaging it should solve the issue as well. Itā€™s when you keep generating new files (by changing settings between packaging / compilation) the issue presents itself.

This is a good tutorial: https://youtu.be/EYojw_uFLb0?si=ZTHa4WZ-hqI9vdm1

i had been successful package iOS(iphone/ipad) tested in 5.1 months beforeā€¦ than i got busy leftā€¦ than come back to install new UE5.3.1ā€¦ the layout changedā€¦ there is a new (project settings > Platforms > xcode Projects) tabā€¦ try find documentationā€¦ but it wasnā€™t updated. so the new layout is abit confusing without guide

FYI last successful attempt
i got profile certificate(expire 1 year) from xcode > setting > accounts > ā€œDownload manual profilesā€
i got provision(expire 6 days) from create a xcode project~with same ā€œBundle identifierā€, go finder ā€œ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles/ā€ copy outā€¦
UE5.1 > project settings > iOS > ā€œImport Provisionā€
than package out ā€œipaā€ without problem

1 Like