Build errors compiling Editor in Visual Studio 2012

Trying to compile Engine and getting build errors but not seen these ones mentioned here. Using Development Editor configuration and Win64 Platform as mentioned in the video.

I am using Visual Studio 2012 Pro on Windows 7 but I have done the following that were mentioned as issues elsewhere.

• Downloaded and unzipped the optional file

• Installed Windows SDK 8.1 and rebooted

• Changed line 28 of UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Windows\UEBuildWindows.cs to
    public static readonly WindowsCompiler Compiler = WindowsCompiler.VisualStudio2012;

The project files appeared to generate fine with no issues and the solution loads up fine.

This is the output log but not sure what the issue is as can’t see an obvious error. Do have Visual Studio 2010 installed as well but have checked and environment variable VS110COMNTOOLS is correctly set. Installing Visual Studio 2013 Express is not an option.

1>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------

1>Build started 21/03/2014 6:39:54 PM.

1>PrepareForBuild:

1> Creating directory “obj\x64\Development_Editor”.

1>Build:

1> Building UnrealHeaderTool…

1> rc.exe PCLaunch.rc

1> PCH.Shared.Core.h.cpp

1> PCH.Shared.CoreUObject.h.cpp

1> Module.Core.2_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Core.1_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Core.7_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Core.4_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Core.5_of_8.cpp

1> Module.CoreUObject.1_of_5.cpp

1> Module.UnrealHeaderTool.cpp

1> Module.CoreUObject.4_of_5.cpp

1> Module.CoreUObject.3_of_5.cpp

1> Module.CoreUObject.2_of_5.cpp

1> Module.CoreUObject.5_of_5.cpp

1> Module.Core.8_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Core.3_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Core.6_of_8.cpp

1> Module.Projects.cpp

1> link.exe UnrealHeaderTool.exe

1> Creating library D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool.lib and object D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool.exp

1>tbbmalloc.lib(backend.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB ‘tbbmalloc.pdb’ was not found with ‘tbbmalloc.lib(backend.obj)’ or at ‘D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\tbbmalloc.pdb’; linking object as if no debug info

1>tbbmalloc.lib(large_objects.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB ‘tbbmalloc.pdb’ was not found with ‘tbbmalloc.lib(large_objects.obj)’ or at ‘D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\tbbmalloc.pdb’; linking object as if no debug info

1>tbbmalloc.lib(backref.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB ‘tbbmalloc.pdb’ was not found with ‘tbbmalloc.lib(backref.obj)’ or at ‘D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\tbbmalloc.pdb’; linking object as if no debug info

1>tbbmalloc.lib(tbbmalloc.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB ‘tbbmalloc.pdb’ was not found with ‘tbbmalloc.lib(tbbmalloc.obj)’ or at ‘D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\tbbmalloc.pdb’; linking object as if no debug info

1>tbbmalloc.lib(frontend.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB ‘tbbmalloc.pdb’ was not found with ‘tbbmalloc.lib(frontend.obj)’ or at ‘D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\tbbmalloc.pdb’; linking object as if no debug info

1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------

1> Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0.00 building projects, 162.33 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles,
0.00 generating debug info, 1.92 linking, 0.00 other

1> UBT execution time: 54.99 seconds

1> Parsing headers for UE4Editor

1>EXEC : error : Failed to generate code for UE4Editor

1>EXEC : error : UnrealHeaderTool failed for target ‘UE4Editor’ (platform: Win64, module info: D:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command “…\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development” exited with code -1.

1>

1>Build FAILED.

1>

1>Time Elapsed 00:01:05.30

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

[EDIT (from the comments)]

Try to execute: ‘Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat’ by hand to receive a more descriptive error message. In most cases reported so far DLLs of DirectX were missing. If that is the case then an install of the DirectX redist solves the issues. Although the SDK of DirectX is installed you have to install the DirectX redist separately

[/EDIT]

Did you extract the optional requirements zip file (which is required for VS2012)?
It’s shortly mentioned in the Video and the readme.md contains this block of text:

Visual Studio 2012 is also supported, but you’ll need to make a code change and download the optional dependencies on the releases page. See the Unreal Engine documentation for more details about using older versions of Visual Studio.

I hope this helps you!

Please actually read my question not just the title and you will see I mention all the similar issues I could find and the solutions that I have already done. Very frustrated at this having spent all day in it.

My bad, sry I over-read it and mistaken one of the warnings with an error. But did you try to execute: ‘Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat’ by hand? I took a look in the file and it seems that is shall also work when u start it from the command line. Maybe u get a more descriptive error message?

Hi. I had exactly same issue. Thanks to DarthB for suggesting to run Build.bat by hand.
It showed up that i am missing some kind of XInput.dll. So the solution for me was to install DirectX.

Hope that will help

#Solution

Have you tried this solution, which has been working for many people?

Rama

I had seen that but that isn’t my issue as wasn’t missing any files. I don’t have mixed versions of Pro and Express installed.

Thanks for replying. I got an error was missing XInput_3.dll so installed the runtime (despite having already installed the full SDK of exact same version of DirectX). I am going to mark DarthB’s response as the Answer as he came up with the initial suggestion that helped us both.

I had seen the batch file and wondered if it could be run by hand but by that stage was so tired didn’t actually do it so thanks for confirming can do so. Did so this morning and got the same issue Leprekon mentions below. Installed the June 2010 DirectX runtime and now after a loooong compile get build succeeded. I hadn’t actually installed the runtime as already had the full June 10 DirectX SDK installed but for some reason still had to install the redist (that was in the installed directory!) separately.

■■■■ this are the issues that make a Coder’s day like hell! I edit the answer so that the solution can be seen immediately.