Build Engine: Visual Studio 2017

Hi,

I have troubles compiling the engine with VS 2017.

I posted a question, which has not been answered yet, but then I thought that it may be a topic of general interest, since Visual Studio 2017 will become the official Microsoft IDE from tomorrow.

In my specific case I get the following error when trying to build from source (UE 4.15):

C:\Users\Francesco\Documents\UnrealEngine-release>GenerateProjectFiles.bat -2017

Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files...

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1098,5): error MSB3644: The reference a
ssemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack
 for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Ta
rgeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in
place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend. [C:\
Users\Francesco\Documents\UnrealEngine-release\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: UnrealBuildTool failed to compile.

I don’t have VS 2015 installed, but I did download the VS C++ toolchain as well as the C++ compiler for VS2017.

Re-run the VS 2017 Installer. Select Modify, then view by individual components and install the .NET Framework 4.5 SDK and it’s service packs.

Thanks,

Please tell us which Workloads and Components are necessary for building UE4 vs for scripting C++ projects.
It’s not very clear.