Build/Cook crashing with error "multiple editor targets but no default"

I’ve been googling and have found nothing, which is super weird.
I have a project (a VR short film) that will package in 4.26.
Recently I’ve been testing whether it’s worth migrating to 5.1.1 and got most everything working in Engine (with a few random exceptions, mostly lighting and fx changes)
But when trying to package, I get the following:
Error: Project contains multiple editor targets but no DefaultEditorTarget is set in the [/Script/BuildSettings.BuildSettings] section of DefaultEngine.ini

My guess is that it’s related to migrating, and having to copy some plugin files over, but I can’t figure out a solution. Have tried all the usual - right-click on content to “Fix Up”… tried trashing the Config folder for it to be rebuilt… tried deleting Intermediate, Saved, and Binaries and rebuilding the sln … nothing working.

Help?

> UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ERROR: Project contains multiple editor targets but no DefaultEditorTarget is set in the [/Script/BuildSettings.BuildSettings] section of DefaultEngine.ini

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): (see C:\Users\skipp\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_5.1\Log.txt for full exception trace)
> PackagingResults: Error: Project contains multiple editor targets but no DefaultEditorTarget is set in the [/Script/BuildSettings.BuildSettings] section of DefaultEngine.ini
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool executed for 0h 0m 2s
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Unknown Error
LogAudioMixer: Warning: Decoder Error, stopping source [CompileFailed]

1. Open the project’s DefaultEngine.ini configuration file. You can find this file in the Config folder of your project directory.
  2. Look for the [/Script/BuildSettings.BuildSettings] section in the configuration file.
  3. If the DefaultEditorTarget setting is missing, add the following line to the BuildSettings section:
DefaultEditorTarget=TargetName

Replace “TargetName” with the name of the editor target that you want to set as the default. The name of the editor target should match the name of the .uproject file for that target.

1. Save the DefaultEngine.ini file and close it.
  2. Rebuild your project and try packaging it again.
2 Likes

This seems to be headed the right direction.

There actually wasn’t a [/Script/BuildSettings.BuildSettings] so I added it.

Now it’s saying it can’t find the target doesn’t exist, after putting it in.

DefaultEditorTarget=MaxQ_UE5

That’s exactly the name of the uproject file.

Is it possible there’s somewhere else that needs to be listed? I’m assuming it’s something basic and obvious.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You need to add Editor at the end. It’s the Editor target so it’s always the project name followed by Editor

DefaultEditorTarget=MaxQ_UE5Editor

3 Likes

That did it, though it’s not necessarily the name of the uproject file. I found the name of the target/s in the platforms dropdown, though. Guess I have to figure out where to rename all that and make sure it’s all linked together since the two targets are the two key plugins I’m using

Thanks!!!

EDIT:
Wondering if I can just use

UnrealEditor

Renaming of projects and working with plugins that want to specify targets is always a fun time. Glad you got it working.

Cheers!

1 Like

For anyone who runs into this problem still, please view this video, it will save you soooo much effort!

3 Likes