I am testing my mobile game in mobile preview, and my main widget doesn’t create in the preview, but it works fine in the normal play mode.
A more accurate description is that nothing on the spawned widget is firing. I have followed the debug paths from the moment it is created, which takes me inside its event construct, goes to all of the nodes, even debugging print nodes, so the game is going over them, but none are firing. The same is true for calling a function in it.
But, playing it in the normal viewport and everything works fine. It does what its supposed to, fires all of the print nodes. And, if I do a mobile preview but switch the widget to another, the new widget is constructed perfectly fine.
It is only with this one widget in the mobile preview where it doesn’t fire any nodes.
I was able to fix this one widget by using a copy of it instead, but now I’m getting the same glitch with another widget. I can’t go around cloning my widgets indefinitely so there must be a better workaround.
Sometimes, the problem was caused by a hidden compile error that didn’t stop the game from playing. In which case, fixing the error fixed the whole problem.
I’m not sure which could be involved, because cloning the widget class and using that instead works fine.
I had created a clean project and reimported the old assets, and blueprints with this bug still had it in the new project. Not sure if that counts as reproducing in a clean project.
I have a hunch it has something to do with this other bug I found. Of the three times I’ve had this bug, they had referenced structs. I think one time, the problem had gone away by reconnecting previously corrupted structs.
Its hard to keep track of it all, as a lot of my blueprints’ names end in a 2 or 3 from cloning either because of the widget glitch or the struct glitch.
Sorry this is taking so long. If I delete the wrong assets, I accidentally “fix” the problem (nearly half the project is missing) and that doesn’t help solve it, so I have to keep cloning the project after every step, and other times, it ends up crashing everytime the editor opens, which means I have to go back to an older clone and redo the changes.
But I have found out that this glitch occurs in actor components as well, but with the actor components, you can’t get rid of them by simply cloning and replacing references.
I had noticed sometimes it was caused by a bug in the blueprint that did not show up as a compile error. I have upgraded it to 4.15 Preview 3 and now the previously corrupted files are working fine, and I have not ran into the problem again, but I will try later today to recreate it again in the 4.14 versions.
We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will follow up.
I had a similar bug. Seemingly caused by an invisible compile error. I’d duplicated my widget from a pre existing one and was seeing no response to the construct event. I just remade it and the problem was solved. Drove me crazy for a couple of hours though.