Bug: UE5.4.1 Procedural Foliage Volume Crash on right click

As the title says, if you have the editor settings enabled for ‘Procedural Foliage Volume’ and you place one in a PRE-EXISTING map from before 5.4.1, the editor crashes! Please people test this to confirm, i have not reported this officially as a bug yet since i wanted to see if others can reproduce it. I have noticed the pre-existing Procedural volumes also fail to work when you ‘resimulate’ but atleast it doesnt crash unless you right click it.

How to reproduce:
*Be on UE5.4.1 (Source or epic launcher, both crash)
*Enable editor setting: Procedural Foliage
*Open up a map you had prior to 5.4.1
*Place a Procedural Foliage Volume in the map.
*Right click it - Editor crashes.

I even tried creating a new map in 5.4.1 and pasting all my pre-existing maps content into the new map but it still crashes.

EDIT: You can easily reproduce this in a new project.
*Create a new project in UE5.4.1 using the Starter content 3rd person template
*Enable Procedural Foliage in editor settings.
*Drag/drop a procedural foliage volume into the main map you started in and right click it (It works fine).
*Create a new level using the ‘Empty’ template.
*Place a PFV in the level and right click it (Result=Crash)

This is pretty huge, has it been reported to the Epic bug tracker?

Ya i reported it. Its in a very odd state where ive managed to get it to populate trees but trying to resimulate never works once its been done. Its as if it doesnt know the original trees you simulated. I had changed the seed but no dice.

I have been experiencing crashes on 5.3.2, trying to regenerate procedural foliage with instanced foliage actor already in level. I have to delete it every time and re-sim each PFV. Is it the same as that?

Yep, i have to delete the ‘InstancedFoliageActor’ and resimulate the PFVs if i want updated foliage. Its quite annoying.

Same. the volume can be small or large and r click = crash every time, I do not recall when it started happening could have been after Nanite or adding a asset that used Procedural foliage.

1 Like

I reported it a while back now (when i posted this thread) but the issue tracker still doesnt show my report. Not sure how it works for the issue tracker, like does it need to be read and approved and then they add their own entry or should i immediately see my post of the issue traxker?