BUG: Startup crash with DX12

Hey all,

I was able to finally reproduce the crash you are reporting here, and was also able to locate a few crashes that are already logged which deal with crashing when launching a project using the -DX12 flag. The callstacks between the crashes share some similarities so I am going to refrain from entering another one since they are more than likely related.

For tracking purposes the bugs I am referring to are UE-27715, UE-28204, and UE-21362. These all deal with epic created projects causing a crash when launched using the DirectX 12 command line argument. Once these bugs have been fixed, they will be integrated into an upcoming major release or hotfix and added to the list of fixed and known issues.

Cheers,

Heya Andrew – we just upgraded to 4.16 in the hope that it would fix the startup crash with Surface Pro 4 devices, but no luck. We still get a startup crash, and I believe it’s the same one.

We get the crash no matter what (i.e. it’s not related to the -DX12 flag) – though on my other home PC, an Alienware laptop, use of the -DX12 flag does cause a crash.

Is there any update on this? I looked up all 3 of the bugs you referred to in the issues tracker, but all 3 of them reported “Unknown Issue.”

Heya Andrew – that’s actually a separate crash, related to Intel video cards when NOT using the -DX12 flag. This bug is related to the DX12 flag

I’ve been meaning to enter a separate UDN issue for this one, but am working to get more data on it. Hopefully we’ll be able to log it sometime next week.

Interesting. We’re exploring the theory on our end that this bug may be a driver issue – unfortunately, GeForce Experience is refusing to cooperate and install update drivers :confused:

I noticed you posted on UDN for an update to this issue there, and we can continue this conversation on that post.

Oh gotcha, apologies for thinking they were connected. All of those bugs I referenced were all referencing a crash on the infiltrator demo with Windows 10 and -dx12 but they all were set to ‘Cannot Reproduce’ in 4.13 or later versions.