BUG: Retopo'd triangles cannot be re-imported into RC without unwrap

Hi there,

I have a bug regarding the workflow of: create a model in RC, export to Blender for mesh-fixing, and re-import into RC, unwrap + texture.

Currently, any new faces added to a model in Blender need to be unwrapped, otherwise, when re-importing the model into RC, they are deleted on import

The only workaround for this is to unwrap those faces, which can be very tedious and completely unnecessary, especially because I’m going to be using RC’s unwrap after I re-import the retopo’d model before texturing.

AFAIK, this was a behavior introduced in RC 1.3 and has been a massive headache to diagnose. The behavior before was much simpler as RC imported most models without issue (some faces unwrapped, some not).

Hi Azad,
after import into RealityCapture is there some error mentioned in console view?
If there is not any error/message after import, what are your exact steps and settings to reproduce this bug? Which format are you using?

Hi Ondrej, here are the steps to reproduce:

1. export a textured mesh (the reason it’s textured before retopology is because it’s useful to see how the texture is projected on the raw mesh and what areas need to be retologized.
  2. in blender, import the model, create and add new faces to the model without unwrapping (like the cylinder that I’ve added to the scan here)
  3. export the model and re-import into Blender.
  4. the new faces that were added in blender were deleted during import and indicated in the log.

So, upon further inspection, any faces that don’t occupy the “correct” amount of space in the UV’s get discarded during import.

This is an issue because the typical workflow (amongst quite a few people that I know who use RC) is essentially some version of what I just described.

Suggestion: all RC needs to do is import in a mesh for us to unwrap and texture in-app. Currently the importer is wayyy to restrictive with what sort of faces and UV’s it accepts during import.

All I wanna do is retopo outside of RC and re-import it for texturing, not need to keep a track of all the faces that I adjust/create and unwrap them just so I can re-import into RC for unwraping+texturing.

Hope that’s clear! Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Hi Azad,
according to your description this is a known bug and we are working on the solution. Thank you for your additional description, I will add those information to the bug.
According to our knowledge, this is happening just for FBX file. Can you confirm that?
There should be also a workaround to resave the model in some 3rd party application and then import it to RealityCapture

Hi Ondrej,

According to our knowledge, this is happening just for FBX file. Can you confirm that?

I’m using OBJ’s here. NOTE: this only happens one meshes that are unwrapped/textured, so likely tied directly to the UVs of the new faces that are introduced during retopology.

There should be also a workaround to resave the model in some 3rd party application and then import it to RealityCapture

Resave? The only real workaround is the unwrap all the new faces and make sure they’re contained within the bounds of the texture (even if they’re overlapping with other face UV’s). I believe this wasn’t the case in the past.