Bug Report: Depth of Field faulty on HTC devices

Hiya, wanted to report of a bug of sorts. I released an aplha version of my game and and it appeared to work fine except on two recent HTC phones (HTC One M8, HTC Desire Eye). On these phones the areas affected by the depth of field saw a strange duplicate artefact appear. I realised what the issue when the appearance of it changed as I adjusted the depth of field, so I removed it completely and the game displayed fine. I’m just going to finish development with DOP off, but thought you guys might want to know this problem was occurring.

As those were the only HTC phones my users tested on I don’t know whether its a universal HTC problem or just those models.

Build version: Unreal Engine 4.6.1 (updated from 4.4.3)

A slightly older version of the UI, but you can see how its supposed to be appear below.

Howdy Teigaga,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I am going to need a bit more information before I begin investigating this issue. Would you be able to test this issue on the newest version of UE4 (4.7.2) and see if you hit the same error? If so, would you be able to provided a step by step way that we may be able to reproduce this issue internally?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

Yep, will do this once I get hold of a HTC phone again

Howdy Teigaga,

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you had the chance to test this issue once again with an HTC device. any information about this error and if it still is occurring would be greatly appreciated.


Hiya, not quite yet. My HTC testers are abroad at the moment. Should get hold of them in the next week and test it then :slight_smile:

Sounds great Teigaga! Thank you for the update.

Currently having problems getting the shipping build of my project to work on 4.7, converted from 4.6.

If I manage to get this past that then I should have an answer up very soon :slight_smile:

Hey Teigaga,

What error are you currently seeing on your project when converting your project?


Hi Sean,

It read “Unfortunately ‘unrealproject’ has stopped” whenever the distribution version was launched on a device, wasn’t a problem when distribution was turned off. Managed to fix it by deleting the Build, Binary, Saved and Intermediate folders from the directory as suggested by a response to this thread: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/177637/47-android-shipping-crash-on-launch.html

So I’ve sent it to my HTC tester, should finally have an answer for you in the next day or 2, Thanks!

Howdy Teigaga,

Just wanted to check in once again and see if you had any updates on this issue. Be sure to let me know when you get the chance so that I may be able to further test this issue if needed.

Thanks and have a great day!

Heya, sorry my HTC tester is being elusive. I’ll update you once he gets back in touch with me :slight_smile:

Hi Teigaga,

If ok with you, I would like to close out this issue for tracking purposes. When your tester gets back to you, feel free to leave a comment so that I may be able to further investigate this issue. This will also reopen the post so that I may be able see it when you do respond.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sure, thats fine by me.

Thanks Sean.