BUG: Remap NPC with Mosasaur generates hundreds of (normal/alpha) Mosasaurs

In my “we-just-use-it-at-home” mod, I’ve made some changes that make the game more entertaining (for me). One of those was the ability to breed aquatic creatures. Shortly thereafter, I noticed (literally) hundreds of Mosasaurs and Alpha Mosasaurs roaming the oceans. Here’re the relevant details:

First off, all of this is happening on the Island map.

• I inherited blueprints for the Shark, Dunkle, Basil, Manta, and Mosasaur. (I don’t much care for Plesiosaur’s model, so I didn’t change them)
  • I made the inherited version of each breedable using gestation (I didn’t want eggs falling into the ocean)
  • I used the Remap NPC section of my mod to swap in my custom version of each
  • I made a recipe for drugs I could feed the dinos to temporarily set their max speed to 0*. (so they would stay still while wandering and mate)
  • I cooked my mod, logged in, and used [FONT=Courier New]destroywilddinos
  • I waited a bit, then used [FONT=Courier New]getallstate to make sure my new dinos were spawning.
  • The Shark, Dunkle, Basil, and Manta were all using my new blueprint.
  • The Mosasaur was still using the old blueprint, and there were 420 instances of them (about a quarter were alphas)
  • I double checked everything about my Mosasaur replacement - it’s the same as what I did with all the others.
  • I removed the Remap NPC entry for the Mosasaur, logged in, [FONT=Courier New]destroywilddinos, waited, and [FONT=Courier New]getallstate showed 8 mosasaurs (with one alpha)

** In case you’re wondering: Yes, all my breedable aquatic creatures work just fine. Baby sharks are adorable.*

I tried a variety of settings (including inheriting from the Mosasaur and not changing anything at all), but every time I use Remap NPC with the Mosasaur, I get 400+ spawned mosasaurs of the original blueprint, and none using my custom blueprint.

I’m guessing this has something to do with some unexposed logic that’s being used to spawn the alphas that is not being remapped, but the population limit is being remapped (and therefore isn’t kicking in).

Gnilbert

Try taking a look at CoreBlueprints/Spawners/DinoSpawnEntries_DarkWater_Mosa… and add your new blueprint to the NPCSpawnLimits array.

Do you use npc volume to count this entry?

I think this is a problem with Replace NPC and alpha dinos. I have 8 other dinos that are remapped to inherited versions that enable breeding, and all of them behave as expected (including properly respecting the limits on the original). Even in the game, using [FONT=Courier New]getallstate with the original dino’s blueprint ID will pull up all the instances of the remapped npc.

I’m not adding entries to the spawners; I’m just using Remap NPC. With every dino except the mosasaur, this works perfectly. It’s automatically placed in the same spawners as the original.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe the Alpha Mosasaurs are being spawned using anything public, since they don’t seem to be referenced by any spawners (and the weirdo behavior when you try to replace them with an exact copy of themselves).

I think there is a bug in the devkit… .pertaining to certain spawners… and it only seems to happen on dedicated servers.

I was doing some spawner work myself using the vanilla Swamp spawner, and added a remap’ed NPC Gigantosaurus d. No problem.

I then added a remap’ed NPC Dimetrodon… and suddenly seeing huge uncontrolled respawns in the Center map swamp area.
I then added a remap’ed Toad… same issue of huge spawns.

I’m going to revert back to a vanilla swamp spawner, and try and figure out when and where the spawner bugs out. Particualrly, I’m curious whether any modifications to the spawner blueprint causes the bug (in my case, I added a spawn entry and limit for a new Gigantosaurus directly to it… .rather than use PrimalGameData to modify it.

Or whether any remap causes it the bug, and why it’s only the swamp spawner that is being affected.

Somehow I don’t think it’s the actual Character blueprints of the dinos…

We see this issue all the time on any map really.
I have never been able to “put my finger on it” as to the root cause. Im sure there is something in the BP that is causing this to happen.

The Center: Thousands of Mosas spawned under water - known issue (not sure if still an issue)
Pokemon mod: thousands of spawns in the water when replacing mosa spawns (not sure if still an issue, im sure it is)
Valhalla: ridge-line above swamp (raised lake area) had thousands of bugs spawn (not sure if thats still an issue)

The 3 above examples were always “i have no idea” on the answer. WCS never had an answer either. Even after The Center became an “official” map, you couldnt go to certain areas of the water because the spawns from Mosa would crash the server out. I have seen it a lot less with other spawns, but, Mosa seems to be the #1 cause of issues (spawn rates all all that)

Well, I’ve got Mosa’s remapped on my dino mode and have not seen this issue.
Still using the default DeepWater spawner.
Mosa is simply remaped to mine via the PGD.
My changes on the Mosa were to allow it to spawn at all levels from 1-120 instead of the base 1-30.

Would love to help more, but not sure what else I can tell you.