Bug: FindSessions with Steam Online Subsystem not working

I do not know where to officially log a bug report, perhaps someone can point me to the correct URL. But here goes.

Reproducible Steps:

Follow these instructions:
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/How_To…ons_In_C%2B%2B

Now change the DefaultEngine.ini to use the Steam Online Subsystem instead of the NULL Online Subsystem:

[/Script/Engine.GameEngine]
+NetDriverDefinitions=(DefName=“GameNetDriver”,DriverClassName=“OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver”,DriverClassNameFallback=“OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver”)

[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Steam
PollingIntervalInMs=20
bUsesPresence=false

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=true
; Your actual app id goes here.
SteamDevAppId=480
bUsesPresence=false

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetDriver]
NetConnectionClassName=“OnlineSubsystemSteam.SteamNetConnection”

If you now launch the game, you will see the Steam overlay, which is correct and shows that Steam is indeed enabled.

But now if you invoke FindSessions (however you wish - a UFUNCTION(Exec) which calls it is convenient, you will get 0 sessions back, and entries similar to the following will be seen in the Output window:

LogOnlineSession: Warning: STEAM: Server response IP:91.214.119.165
LogOnlineSession: Warning: STEAM: Removed incompatible build: ServerBuildUniqueId = 0x00000000, GetBuildUniqueId() = 0x00a14c28
LogOnlineSession: Warning: STEAM: Server response IP:85.175.101.35
LogOnlineSession: Warning: STEAM: Removed incompatible build: ServerBuildUniqueId = 0x00000000, GetBuildUniqueId() = 0x00a14c28
LogOnlineSession: Warning: STEAM: Server response IP:41.33.181.123

I believe this to be a bug. I have spend many hours trying to solve this, to no avail. The warning message is pretty much useless because I could find no documentation, in the Unreal docs or anywhere else, that explains what this message means and why it occurs and how to resolve it. So even if this is not a bug, I would expect the UE4 docs for the online subsystem Steam to then at least discuss these build IDs and to explain what it means and why they should match and how to make them match.

Thanks,
Marius.

i got same problem!
any solution?

Hi Digitalbug,

No, I have found no solution, and I have not gotten any reply from either the community or Epic. This is the third or fourth question I ask, for which there just simply is no reply. Not only some of my forum posts go unanswered, but some questions directly to Epic, some directly to certain members of Epic, simply goes unanswered.

I am sorry to be sounding sour, there really is no engine as wonderful as Unreal Engine, but in the past I have heard some Unity fans say that Epic support is terrible, and to be honest I came up for Epic then, telling them that that is just not true, but to be honest… they might have been correct after all. Maybe certain reputations exist because there lies some truth in them. The fact is, I was forced to abandon my multiplayer game because I simply did not get this issue resolved.

Sorry for the little rant. But no, I got no help on this issue and I did not figure it out myself either. What I think is that this ‘build ID’ is a unique ID that is a part of your game’s configuration, and this session list is filtered based on this ID, so that you would only see sessions for your game and even your build revision / version of your game. I think this means that all other ‘Spacewar’ sessions are therefore filtered out, because none of those sessions are actually hosted by your game. I assumed this was the case, and tried working around this (there is somewhere, I thing in an ini file, that one can specify an override for this build id), but I was not able to get it to work.

Sorry I could not be of more help.