BTService: get variable from character - how ??

Hi

I have asked on the answerhub (BTService: get variable from character - AI - Epic Developer Community Forums) but I figured I would try my luck also - hope that is ok :slight_smile:

I am trying to make a system for moving physics pawns around using dummy characters as guides.

Basically I have a character master which has no rendered mesh but can have an ai controller assigned. Each character master has a slave physics pawn assigned as a variable. This slave physics pawn is constantly pushed towards the master character. A sphereraycast is casted from the master to the slave and if blocked the master stops and waits until he can see the slave again.

This works rather well. I have little bouncing physics pawns navigating the level and all is well.

However now I am in the situation where I want to introduce visioncheck from the location of my physics pawn rather than the master character.

This is where things go haywire.

I have the slave pawn as a pawn variable in my master character. In the BTService I try to get that variable from the character but I cannot set the target of the “Get” node. My plan is then to assign the value of that variable to a local variable for the BTService and read the required data from that but I am stuck with the “Get” node.

Am I approaching this is a very silly way or am I overlooking something?

Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

Replace ‘Cast to Character’ with ‘Cast to NPC_Basic_A_Character’. Then connect ‘As NPC_Basic_A_Character’ to target.

Answer Hub actually answered this first. Derp.