BSP brushes do not trigger collision events from line trace events

BSP brushes do not trigger events when hit with line trace. I’ve made sure all the collision settings are correct and everything should work as intended. When testing, line trace turns green to indicate a hit but the event it is suppose to execute does not. I’ve had a lot of issues using basic developer tools like this that come out of the box with ue4, so I am pretty sure this is an issue with the engine itself.

Any ideas of what could be causing this issue?

This is hard to diagnose because more information is needed. BSP brushes are a very simplistic blockout tool and as such will often not be useable as anything other than some quick non destructive architecture. They also will not return an actor reference giving only the very basic result of whether there was a blocking hit or not, which needs to be taken into account as well.

If you are able to provide some more info on what you are trying to achieve you may get a usable solution from someone, but chances are the BSP brush is working exactly as intended.

1 Like

This post is some years old, but it is still being Googled, so I will answer those who search. BSP does not point to an Actor, but does have a Component. You can take PrimitiveComponent from HitResult. It will also have information about the position, and other useful things. hit.GetComponent()->And then you choose what you need. I used this to prototype a parkour mechanic. Since I’m testing on greybox BSP, I took a component to read the BoxExtent bounds.