BSP Brush disappears from Outliner and is undeletable

Hi there,

I’m having an issue using BSP Brushes in the Unreal Editor using 4.11.2

I have an edited and extruded BSP with Materials on most surfaces. I can select the surfaces of the BSP Brush, but no more outline and Gizmo appears. The BSP Brush has also disappeared from the World Outliner. The surfaces cannot be deleted, but I can hide them for as long as I’m using the Editor.

Already asked our porgammer for help, and he also noted, that the output log doesn’t react, when you select a surface of that BSP.

The BSP also remains in the scene, when I’m building the geometry. And it’s still there even thow I restarted the Editor.

I have no clue as to when this is occuring or how to exaclty reproduce this yet.

Best regards
Gil

Hi scodiak,

• Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content or is it limited to one project?
  • What steps are you taking to reproduce this on your end?
  • How many BSP brushes do you have in your level?
  • Are you able to delete the asset from the Geometry Edit Modes panel if the asset is selected in the viewport?
  • Have you tried building the level by pressing the “Build” button?

Hi ,

• No, this happens in our studios game project with lots of additional content.
  • Follows below
  • From 5 to 15 and up to 20 BSP’s per Level. In about 20 of 180 Levels/Maps.
  • No, as I can only select surfaces of the BSP and not the whole asset.
  • Yes, I’ve used the “Build” function, but with the same result.

Steps for reproduction:

1. Loading the persistant level
  2. Loading a sub-level
  3. Creating a BSP using a box brush
  4. Changing the XY settings of the brush, e.g. X 2000, Y 2000
  5. Duplicating this brush usign Alt+Left Mouse
  6. Editing and extruding that duplicate using the Geometry Edit Mode
  7. Disabling “Update BSP Automatically” in the Editor Preferences
  8. Copying the edited BSP with Alt+Left Mouse still inside the Geometry Edit Mode
  9. Further editing and extruding the new dubplicate
  10. Selecting inside the Geometry Edit Mode to the original BSP
  11. Duplicate that original using Alt+Left Mouse
  12. Assigning Materials to the surfaces of the BSP’s
  13. Saving the levels
  14. Loading the Level with the BSP’s inside
  15. Converting the BSP’s into Static Meshes
  16. Then the Static Mesh appears and the former BSP’s “ghost” is stuck inside the SM

In same cases this reproduces the bug, in same it doesn’t, but that’s usually my workflow.

if you convert some of your bsps to static meshes, do you see the same thing occur?

Yes, that’s the same.

Do you have a sample project you could post here where this is occurring? Additionally, what mode do you have the editor in when this occurs?

Hi Gil,

I was able to recreate this with your steps. Are you sure you’ve not built the geometry for the scene again? You can go to Build > Geometry and this should remove it from the scene.

I was able to see that I could select the faces and not be able to do anything. This is just the residual BSP and requires the geometry to be rebuilt since you’ve disabled the option for “Update BSP Automatically”. Alternatively you should be able to reenable this in the Editor Preferences and see the BSP geometry be removed as well.

Let me know!

Hi ,

oh, that’s really good news, because we’re currently close to release and I didn’t knew, if I could’ve been able to create a sample project for you.

I will have a look into your advice it as soon as I’m able to.

Gil