Bruma world - 2021 Recap - One year of development

Thanks for the update! Your creation is coming along very nicely; keep up the great work! :grin:

1 Like

Added a new video, with some new airship modules, where I show all the process of building an airship and taking off. hope you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Greetings @TIBERIO2 !

I have been watching your progress with Bruma from afar for several months! Your work is beautifully imaginative! I was awestruck viewing your latest video showing how you can modularly build an airship, interact with it, and control it. This is quite impressive!

May I ask how did you arrive to the name “Bruma” for this project? Also, because this is a survival game, what are the challenges a player and their mates will face? Is this a challenge to gather resources to survive the elements? Are there any natural predators or enemies to the survivalists?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the kind words!

Yes, I pretend to do some kind of “nomad survivor” game, where instead of a base you can build an airship that you can upgrade as you keep scavenging and looking for resources. I’m working on an environment system by “islands” (Mountain tops and other POI) in a sea of dunes, dust and fog. As for the predators, will be wild animals and maybe more, but can’t assure it right now tbh.

As for the name, Bruma means “morning dew” but sadly this name is already in use for another game! so had to change it. Actually, I decided to buy a domain asap and I have a website now; www.dustpunk.world

Hope you like it! ^^

2 Likes

I’ve been working with the User interface and interaction with the Airship;
Inventory UI
Crafting UI
Interacting with Airship components UI
Her’s a short video showing the different designs:

2 Likes

Normal day vs Dust storm (Volumetric fog + Light function)

2 Likes

Hi TIBERIO2!

Thank you so much for responding! Your game gets better and better with every addition/improvement! Do you have a backstory for Dust Punk? Will your game include a tutorial level for shipbuilding? An introductory cinematic?

I didn’t know the name Bruma means “morning dew”. In which language? My introduction to Bruma is the name of a town in The Elder Scrolls series. Also, in The Elder Scrolls series, one of the kings is named Tiber Septim. Are you an Elder Scrolls fan or is your username and Bruma a coincidence? :thinking: :blush:

Dust Punk sounds wonderful! It sounds like an entirely unexplored world genre! In your opinion, what would separate dust punk from post-apocalyptic or wasteland punk?

2 Likes

Hi @Get_DOVAH_it !

Thanks again!
The game is settled in a post-industrial revolution time where pollution of the railroads, factories and mines already originated a climate change. After some decades, the greenhouse effect reached a point where the seas start to evaporate and most of the water inland became clouds. The fertile lands have been reduced to some mountain tops that still receive some water from the clouds and at sea level, everything became a desert.
Those deserts are so inhospitable that the inhabitants of this world have to rely on flying airships to travel.

Bruma means morning Dew in Spanish ^.^ And it’s totally a coincidence with Elder scrolls city.

Uh, and for the genre, I guess I’m pointing to somewhere between steampunk and wasteland punk, I like wasteland’s aesthetics, but in this case would be in a previous time (industrial revolution) I Guess? Also “Wild West” is something I’m taking as a reference.

Speaking of references, this month there’s nice content on Unreal that I will take as an inspiration: Wild West City - Wild West Town - Wild West Sky City - Town in Environments - UE Marketplace

Apologies for the late response, I missed the mail where the forums tackle me when this post has a reply >.<

Also, I’ve been working on the Day / Night cycle, and a little on the volumetric dust;

3 Likes

You mentioned “wasteland” and while there are definitely scenes with that, at 2:53 the environment is the total opposite. It’s truly stunning. Look forward to seeing more!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I hope to have a test build / little demo “soon” ^.^
I’ll post here the link when I have published it.

1 Like

Start to work on the Building that will form the scattered “survivor” villages on desert mountain tops. I’m doing a modular kit in Blender so I can “easily” assemble buildings in it and then export them to Unreal.

4 Likes

Working on a Desert architecture Kit

4 Likes

Two words: Awesome Sauce! :pinched_fingers:t4:

It has been a delight watching this amazing project of yours develop! Is this also a modular build for the player, or will the building exist as one solid building of its own? Will the player have the option to place plants and trees?

1 Like

Hi @Get_DOVAH_it hanks a lot! ^.^

Sadly, I don’t think I’ll make the player able to build buildings in the near future, mostly because the game is about to have a nomad live onboard an airship. Another thing is that maybe in the future you can purchase one of the existing buildings in the scattered villages/town in the world, or maybe purchase a plot of land and have a place to build your own one. (To have a place to rest during your travels) But I don’t see this happening soon by any chance >.<

Additional to this - If I manage to implement a “mission system” delivering resources to a village can make it be upgraded, like making a windmill, a sawmill, etc… but this is a game mechanic that again,won’t happen soon.

As for the plants and trees, farming a little Veg garden onboard the airship is something I really want to happen! ^^

Glad you like the progress and thanks for the support, really >.<

Cheers!

2 Likes

Loved the updates, can’t wait to see more! This is stunning!

1 Like

Thanks a lot @MichaelBogaMusic !

I’ve been working on the weather system again tweaking the volumetric dust (fog) and refactoring the inventory system

3 Likes

Working on the dust storm :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The weather system tweaks are working out great! This dust storm looks incredible, and the screenshots are just as lovely! Now I fancy myself a skydive of sorts into a sandstorm. :laughing:

2 Likes

The weather system is looking sick!

1 Like

Looks very atmospheric. I really like airships, it reminds me the game Guns of Icarus, but in a completely different way.
It’s a little unclear how you can come up with a plot for such a game, but I hope you succeed it! Because if it’s just a ship building simulator and just a journey, then it will lose that very highlight of exploring the world.

1 Like