Bringing your project to another PC - How?

I’ve been trying to bring a home project onto a work pc but every day I find that something gets in the way. My latest attempt saw me copy out my content folder inc the blue icon for the project. Now it’s saying something about my Ini file?

“Game name case not detected for ‘YourGame’. The engine ini should contain an entry GameName with the name of the game in the correct case”

I did make changes to the INI file (the maps that the game loads), so should I be finding that INI file and copying that onto my USB too? Is there not just a 3DSMax like function where you can archive out your file to give you everything you need to make it run on another pc? What would you guys do?

Just copy the **entire **project folder onto a USB - add it to your unreal engine project folder on your new PC :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the project I uploaded for others to download, all I did was empty out all of the auto-saves and other misc items from the Saved folder, as well as removed everything from the Intermediate folder of the project and zipped it up to an archive. All of these files can be re-generated by the engine when you open the project on a separate PC.

was a really basic project without too much content, but I have not heard of any issues for others downloading it so far. Is your project code or blueprint based?

1 Like

Tried copying the entire folder again, doesn’t work. It loads my scene (the name appears) but all my materials, textures, BPs etc are gone. My entire folder is only 1MB so something is wrong. Yet it works fine at home. I think what may be going on (need to be at home to be sure) is that my project is being saved in one place (my C:Documents) and my actual content files are being saved in my project folder in Epic’s projects folder.

1 Like

It could be -> e.g when you just use the start content it will be in the engine folder. But do a right click onto one of your assets -> “Show in explorer” -> now you know where it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh weird, my main project’s files seems to be in some obscure place on my c drive. If I copied it and pasted it into my folder in the Epic folder (over the current files) would it freak out? I don’t like that my main project is in some obscure place.

1 Like

If you mean over top of the project files that you were not able to get working? Yeah that shouldn’t be a problem, just delete it first though. You can also just rename the folder of the project, it won’t complain about that either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, my latest attempt has my project working on my work PC but for some reason my GAME folder in project browser is empty. It seems to be pulling my content from the ENGINE folder. If I move all my files from ENGINE to GAME then even if I ‘Save all’ and reload, everything is back in the ENGINE folder :frowning:

1 Like

What is the filepath of your project? Are you saving it to your Documents folder? like :

C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\Unreal Projects\PROJECT_NAME

Only reason I can think of why it might be moving your content into Engine is if you are placing the project into the Unreal Engine folder in Program Files, can you confirm where you placed the files?

1 Like

At work, my project folder is currently in C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.4\Engine\Content\Deux

I seem to remember that placing a project anywhere else but the Epic folder causes it to complain when saving? I remember it doing that when following a tutorial so from then on I would only ever save projects in my Epic folder.

1 Like

Save your project into another folder, because sometimes you need admin rights when you want to save/delete something in there :slight_smile: What exactly happens when you save it somewhere else?

1 Like

Ok that is definitely the problem then, your projects shouldn’t be saved in the same folder as the engine content. Saving everything there is why nothing shows up in the Game folder of the content browser, because it is physically located in the Engine folder it thinks that your content is part of the engine.

If you have any non-latin characters in your (windows) username that may be the reason why you were having trouble saving to your Documents folder.

You will want to move the project to a different file path, for example try:

C:\Unreal\PROJECT_NAME

should fix any issues you are having, but let us know if it is still giving you problems. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

At home my project (which works fine) is at C:\Users\caponehouse.caponeart-PC\Documents\Unreal Projects\Deux\Content\BluePrint;

It’s a bit of an awkward path! I’d ideally like to move it all into a new folder called ‘UnrealProjects’ on P:\ at home

but I don’t have P:\ at work so it won’t work? I guess I should just be safe and put it on C:\ and make sure that they both have the same path both at home and work.

1 Like

What storage capacity would you recommend?

1 Like