Breakpoint triggered on new project

Story

I have recently installed v4.8 of Unreal engine, throughout the weekend I used it in my PC at home without any problems. It was thus a surprise when I got to work and on my working PC my project crashed a little bit after the editor has loaded.

I considered the posibility that it was my project that crashed, so I tried creating a new project. The same breakpoint was triggered. Finally I tried downloading and compiling the engine myself and again exactly the same problem.

Screenshots

The exception:

46564-the+exception.png

The callstack:

The editor at the moment of crash:

Final Notes

Sufice to say this is hindering my progress and quite anoying, mainly because I was using the Plugin Wizard (In my original project) which makes my project unnopenable by v4.7 of the Engine.

Hi Strauzen,

Can you add the entirety of your crash log to this thread as a txt file? You can find them here, and you can include the log from VS if you like. Also, is crash reporter triggering when you get this crash? If so can you reproduce and add that call stack to this thread?

You’re seeing this exact crash when you create a brand new project in 4.8? You’re using source, is that correct?

Thanks!

Hi,

The crash happens using both the engine from the repository or the engine from downloaded with the Epic Launcher.

I tried looking for the log but in:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue 

I cannot find the folder ReportQueue

The crash reported is triffered but the only thing I see is this message:
MachineId:B744CFB3484C2920852216A393D21560
EpicAccountId:2a539c7c7f1745a7ab0b664d7e39bab9

No minidump found for this crash.

The callstack I get when I say I want to debug after the crash is:

>	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee00aee45() 	
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll]	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee00ad877() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee010b5a5() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee01bae93() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee010d6d2() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee01bae93() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee01badb2() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0106963() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0109164() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0106a75() 	
 	ApexFrameworkPROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee04326cf() 	
 	UE4Editor-Engine.dll!TermGamePhys()  Line 491	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * __formal, int nCmdShow)  Line 214	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 618 + 0x15 bytes	C
 	kernel32.dll!0000000076f459ed() 	
 	ntdll.dll!000000007729ba01() 	

I hope this helps ;D

Can you see if you get this same crash with just a blank project?

Same crash with a blank project, independently of it being a code or a blueprint project.

Callstack:

>	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0bfee45() 	
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll]	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0bfd877() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0c5b5a5() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0d0ae93() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0c5d6d2() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0d0ae93() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0d0adb2() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0c56963() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0c59164() 	
 	APEX_DestructiblePROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0c56a75() 	
 	ApexFrameworkPROFILE_x64.dll!000007fee0e726cf() 	
 	UE4Editor-Engine.dll!TermGamePhys()  Line 491	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * __formal, int nCmdShow)  Line 214	C++
 	UE4Editor.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 618 + 0x15 bytes	C
 	kernel32.dll!0000000076d459ed() 	
 	ntdll.dll!00000000772fba01()

Hi Strauzen,

Is this from the binary/launcher editor or from source? If it is the latter, have you followed the instructions on how to get source going?

That callstack is bumming me out because it isn’t giving any useful info, I believe because of the no symbols loaded problem.

From both, I first tried from source and it didn’t work, I had done it with 4.7 with no problems. Because I was not sure I had done something wrong I gave it ago from the binary/launcher editor and I get the same problem.

PS: I do not have the sourcecode in the PC that causes the crash anymore, If you want me to test it it will have to wait until tomorrow :frowning:

No need to reinstall the source, try this first:

In the Engine folder, delete the DDC (Derived Data Cache), the Intermediate, the Saved folders.

I’m concerned though that this is something to do with Visual Studio since that is where the error is occurring; it may come to uninstalling UE4 and reinstalling.

If you do have to do that, before you get to compiling, just install binary from the launcher and see if you can open a plain blueprints project that doesn’t require VS to use and see if you get this same crash.

Hi Strauzen,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Hi wittlief, sorry for dissapearing

I have tried the following:

• Open launcher
  • Update to 4.8.1
  • Launch an Empty blueprint project
  • Select no starter content and 2D 3D scalable
  • The editor opens
  • The discovering assets message appears
  • Then the same crash happens with the message no minidump found for this crash

I will now try to delete the folders you mentioned.

Thanks.

Same problem following the same steps after deleting the folders you mentioned.

I have a feeling that this might be related to the hardware I use, just in case I am posting here a DxDiag:

link text

Nothing in there looks awful. I’m probably going to find out who to escalate this to; we don’t get many crashes with absolutely no info as to why it’s crashing at all. Have you been able to run Unreal at any point in the past?

In the meantime, I’d advise an uninstall and reinstall of the engine and perhaps even VS, and maybe figure out why your call stacks aren’t returning any symbols. That’s unusual but I don’t have any advice for you on how to fix it.

Yes, Unreal 4.7 and previous versions work fine, it is only from 4.8.0 onwards that it crashes on launch. I am still using 4.7

I made a clean install of Unreal 4.8 from the repository (this time), launched the engine from visual studio (after building it) and then followed the same steps as I described above.

Got the same problem :frowning:

Thanks for your help, I hope to hear good news from you guys soon ;D

What version of Visual Studio are you using?

Oh, one more thing. Revisting the call stack pic you posted above, it references a feature pack more than once. Are you using a custom feature pack? Can you try to disable any feature pack that you might have been using in 4.7 that may not be supported any longer? Maybe just kill any you have and add them back one at a time to be able to figure out what one it might be.

I am using Visual Studio 2013 and no custom packs, I was opening a blank project with nothing in it.

Yesterday I uninstalled all things related to Epic from my computer, then I redowloaded the launcher and the Engine. I don’t know if either that or the update to 4.8.2 did it but now I can open a blank project in 4.8.2.

:smiley: