Breaking up an input action

I have a character that can move in any cardinal direction, but can only move in one direction at a time. I need to make it so that, for example, that if the player is moving forward, then presses right with forward still pressed, the right input will override the original forward input. It seems as though enhanced inputs do not register multiple presses as new Triggered events. Is the only way to do this to break up the input into four actions?

whats your input action? if you’re using a 2d axis it shouldnt matter, unless you dont want forward and right to go diagonal?

Correct, I want it to be one or the other, but never both. I have a 2D Axis input, but switched it to four 1D Axis inputs to solve the problem, but I’m wondering if there’s a simpler way.

yeah probably the best way, im not sure what your setup is but you could possibly do it with 2 inputs assuming its impossible to push up and down at the same time.

or maybe break the 2d axis and only use the highest value, so if right is greater than up go right?