BP keyboard input of characters on shifted keys

To build a string in a blueprint, I need to input and process some special characters, like the key “/”.
For example on a german keyboard, this is above the 7, so one has to type SHIFT-7.

When reading this via the “Any Key” event in a blueprint, I get two events, one for the “SHIFT”, and one for the “7”, but no “SLASH”.

Of course I may implement a routine to translate the “7” into a “/” if isInputKeyDown(LRshift) is true.
But this then has to be implemented for any existing keyboard layout, which seems to be a bit ridiculous.

I can’t believe that there isn’t an easier method…
Any idea would be appreciated…

Michael

Have you tried?:

295735-slash.png

just tried it.

Unfortunately it never fires using a german keyboard, where it’s shift-7.
Seems all key related events only trigger for the plain keyboard key.
Other keys, like the “<” key e.g. works well on a german keyboard; I assume it won’t work with an US keyboard.

I’ts needed to simulate a key punch for punched cards (see IBM 1401 let's program, part 1: overview - YouTube ), so it would be nice to have a hassle free and language independent access to all necessary keys…

As a first workaround, I will try something easy memorable, like ALT-S.

Edit: “…using a german keyboard, where it’s shift-7.”

Ok, I also just tried. It works, do you have the BP set for input? ( Auto receive input in class defaults )

EDIT: Sorry ignore me, not a shift combination here…

Yes, bizarre. I also notice that defining input actions that use combinations in the project settings menu also do not work.

Googling yields basically no results. Which usually means one thing, it’s obvious. Although I can’t see it at the moment…

No, it works. So you can do it with key bindings in the project settings. At least you don’t have to code it…

ah, yes, you are right. That would help with the technical key handling.

Nevertheless that brings back the issue with the language specific keyboard layout.

It would only work for keyboards which have the slash above the 7 (in my case, for a german keyboard), and would also work for e.g. an US keyboard, which has a dedicated slash key.

But for e.g. a french keyboard it would be above the 3 or the “:”, which also collides with other relevant special characters on other keyboards.

maybe I can overlay a transparent text input widget in the HUD to catch input.

will try that tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

do you mean defining an action_mapping for “/”?

doesn’t trigger for me, with or without the shift.

(the alt-e works)

295739-111.jpg

Nearly, I did an action mapping for SHIFT-8 to simulate your problem. That worked for me.

I have a UK KB, and none of the combo keys work in the action mappings.

For instance CTRL-SPACE, nope, doesn’t work.

Don’t get it really…