- Added two more or less real levels! Which are much easier than the one I’m using for testing.
- Started adding various settings to game modes (for now only normal game mode and cube move speed).
- Added new particle effect, when box is destroyed!
- Added bonus score, which is based on how long platform is by the end of level. It can be negative! (probably will add option, to disable negative score, but it will also give less bonus score).
Also Thanks for mentioning on stream!
- Added animations to boxes.
- It actually can’t be seen, but I’m moving more code to C++.
- Tweaked collision on boxes, they should be more predictable now.
- Fixed some errors with menus (not being removed from viewport).
- Added death handling when character fall off from platform.
- Added messages, so you actually know when platform is extended/shrinked.
And please! If anyone is at least slightly interested, download playable build and tell me what you think about core mechanics. Need feedback on it.
I will probabaly remove jumping or at least make it shorter, currently it’s possible to jump over blocks, which is not desired (;.
Haven’t had much time today to make any big changes. But:
- Added Phases to level (now level is split into Waves and Phases, each Phase can have any number of Waves, to beat level to have to survive all Phases).
- Added Victory screen. Or at least some basics for it, with basic buttons.
Tomorrow, will work more on menus, handling different game types, and tweak box collision, cause now it seems bit unpredictable.
- Added some basic functioning menus.
- Challenge mode doesn’t work. Yet. I have this problem:
How do I pass Blueprint game type trough Open Level Node ? - UE4 AnswerHub
I have idea about work around this, but I still want to resolve this.
- L and Z shapes can be rotated using mouse wheel.
- Restored basic particle effect.
- Replaced blue guy, with Prototype Character. It matches my desired aesthetics.
- “Classic” mode (i won’t call it this way), but basically it will copy base mechanics from Kurushi.
- Extended mode, which will feature additional mine field shapes.
- Challenge mode, where you can set custom difficulty settings, and they will add risk reward (higher score multiplier, but also bigger punishment when you make mistakes).
- Cube movement speed.
- Cube pause time.
- Deny cube penalty (if you destroy cube, you will get negative points).
- Normal cube penalty (if cube fall off platform, you will get negative points).
- Mine field limit. Each wave (or phase), have limited amount of mine fields you can use. If you go above limit, you will score penalty for every field above limit.
- Distance limit. Cubes can move only limited distance. After it, you will get score penalty for every additional square.
Oh and feel free to download and tell me what you think about core mechanics. Level design aside, there is only one level and I treat it as test site (;.
I will try to update this thread every day, with new build and video.
First playable prototype:
- One level.
- Z, L and one square type mine fields.
- No animations (for whatever reason they haven’t packaged, and I tried several times…).
- Some basic menus, which are buggy as hell, but they sever basic purpose for now.
The idea is:
- There are boxes on one end of platform.
- Your task is to prevent boxes from reaching end of platform and falling from it.
- There are special boxes (Black), which must not be destroyed, and they must fall from platform.
- Your goal is to reach highest possible score and destroy all applicable boxes. Score is calculated based on your efficiency.
How fast can you destroy boxes, and the least amount of used mines.
- If you manage to destroy all applicable boxes, platform will be extended.
- If to many boxes fall, platform will be shortened. If there is limit for 2 fallen boxes, this means that every time 2 boxes fall from platform, platform will be shortened by one line.
Right now there are two types of mines. 1 square, you can have only one at time, and 3x3 field, which is spawned when you destroy green box.
I have several ideas on how to expand it. I will be testing tetris shapes, for fields, which must be spawned manually.
Scoring system is by no means finished. Right now it simply add score for every box destroyed, and subtract score for all failed boxes (destroyed black, or other boxes fallen from platform).
If box will stop over character it’s instant kill. Platform will be shortened, and you will have to start from beginning on shorter platform.
Playable prototype, with one or two levels, should be available somewhere this week.