As Doctor Ergot pointed out, many of the features i suggest come as part of this plugn: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/node-graph-assistant
Also, it is possible to disable sections of node graph by setting the “disable nodes” hotkey in keyboard shortcuts section of preferences.
So for some background. I’m a freelance technical artist, I have used Unreal or a long time, I’ve also recently started using Houdini. I spend a lot of time using Node Graphs during professional work.
I find working in Houdini to be more comfortable, despite my relative lack of experience, because the way the user can interact with their graphs is a much richer, more tactile experience. I find it both faster, and more conducive to reaching a state of flow while working .
Some of the features I attribute this to are:
- Alt-click-and drag to cut through wires and break connections
- “Auto-connect” nodes that are dropped on wires connecting nodes
3. When a node is deleted, connect the input node to the output node automatically.
4. Disconnect nodes by shaking them with mouse
- The ability to disable (comment out) sections of nodegraph, without breaking connections. Could be shift-click.
I hope that some of these suggestions will be considered, as I believe they will improve the unreal user experience for everyone who uses blueprints, materials and Niagara.