Books to learn basic architecture demensions

I am trying to learn more modeling (coming from programming background) and I am having a problem modeling architecture in correct dimensions. I am very technical and I have a need to model based on real world dimensions but i’m having trouble learning the basic dimensions that look realistic. Most books that I have seen are too in depth for a modeler in my eyes and more for architects. Is there a reference material that modelers tend to use to get ideas for dimensions or is it usually based on proportion and referencing images?

I have simply Google search for things such as “common door frame dimensions”, “average window frame height”, etc. Then there is this handy reference. As far as books, I would say that is a big can of worms. I use to have dozens and dozens of all sorts of books taking up my workspace, but have gone digital. Rather, I scour the web for my knowledge rather than paying hundreds of dollars annually to kill trees and baby sloths to read a few things and then have a literal paper-weight sitting around taking up space. Mind you, having a quick reference at a book is always nice (I might be bi-polar, not sure anymore).

So Google and perhaps hanging around the PolyCount community could prove worth your while. Other resources I found were:

I’m certain someone here in the community would have knowledge of the architectual modeler’s golden book though :wink:

Being new to the art side of things I have googled a lot of the stuff but the dimensions that I have found online don’t always seem to look the best in game and I have never heard of polycount. I looked at you PolyCount link and it was amazing. Thank you

Out of curiousity, what modeling program were you working with? I worked with Blender in the past, but recently moved to the “Maya side” after working with for some college classes. One of the biggest things to wrap your head around, is scale from your application of choice to UE. Maya was nice, because right off the bat 1cm in unit was 1cm (or UU) in Unreal Engine. I’d suggest making some very basic scenes (a simple floor, walls, and a human scale box) for reference templates. There are many workflows people utilize, but I think starting out small and fast, jumping back and forth between modeling and seeing it in Unreal helps you get it down faster. That is compared to trying to get some master workflow in the beginning.

Our studio has Max and Maya for our artists so Im trying to go with Maya since Autodesk seems to be favoring Maya more than Max. I do know that both are easy to setup for UE but I love that Maya has a specific export menu for UE4