Blurred normal map

Hi Guys,

I am working on a project using UE5, It seems I am getting a blurred normal map on my object, I created this normal map in Substance Painter, exported it from there, and imported it to UE5, the engine recognizes that it is a normal map. When I apply it on the material and apply the material to the object it looks blurred in the editor, the weird thing is that it looks perfect in the material editor, have a look at the attached capture.

I tried reaching for a solution and I had no luck so far, I would really appreciate any tips from anybody at this moment,

Thanks in advance for you help :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks like a blurred texture, actually. Can you try just the texture? I might be a UV problem…

1 Like

Hey there, thanks for your reply, I tried only the normal map texture on the material, the problem was still there.

I also checked the normal map itself it is not blurred, and don’t forget, the material look correct in the material editor.

I meant try only the albedo :wink:

The albedo is a solid color :slight_smile:

I also thought it might be the Post Processing Volume, so I deleted it just to be sure, but the problem was still there.

Ok, now I’m thinking UVs. Can you try a test pattern on there?

You mean place a Texture Coordinates node? I already did that, unfortunately it didn’t work. I also tiled the texture to test things out.

Sorry, maybe my miscommunication.

I mean, like this:

Just to make sure the scale you think it’s at, is actually the right scale?

Here is what it looks like from my side,

Have a look at this video and notice, that the more shiny the material is the more blurry it gets, notice when I increase the roughness, for instance, it gets real blurry??

Ok, I believe you :slight_smile:

The only other thing I can think it might be, is misaligned normals.

I swear :slight_smile:

Normals are good as far as I can tell,

Thanks for your help anyways.

Sorry, I’m out… :-/

1 Like