Blueprint Suggestions

These are all pretty close to each other in terms of feature suggestions. These aren’t bug reports, so I’m not sure if I should be separating these or lumping them together.

1. In blueprints, make string edit fields a little bit wider. I got confused the first time using a blueprint node because the edit field wasn’t wide enough to show the blinking cursor. Sounds like a silly thing, but if I’m having trouble fiddling around with it, likely many more people will have trouble with it as well.

2. When a comment has already been made, a little dialog bubble shows up above the kismet node. Can you make it so that when the user clicks on this dialog bubble, it is directly editable? It seems more intuitive that way than to right click on the node itself to change the comment. And maybe put an “x” icon that becomes visible on mouseover so that the comment can be cancelled (and ensure that the operation is transactional in case somebody did not want to delete it!)?

3. In ready made template maps like Third person, would the devs consider adding “InputKey Escape” → “Execute Console Command” to the third person design blueprint so that the player can properly hit escape and have the window close? Make it one less thing for the user to think about when loading a ready-made template. ('Cause otherwise, the user has to take the focus off the screen somehow in order to access the window’s menu buttons)

4. The node wires – can those be brought to the foreground – in FRONT of the nodes instead of behind them (or at least have the option to toggle between)? This way the wire connections can be more readily visible. And also the connection radius for input nodes could stand to be a bit wider. You really have to reach into the node for the wires to connect.

Hey Markus,

This is alright this time since it’s feature requests. Going forward, you should make them separate. Just a few answers and questions.

Request 2: This one is already being looked into and I believe that you will be able to edit comments directly by double-clicking when the change happens.

Request 3: Are you Playing in Editor or Playing in Standalone? PIE should be Esc to exit, but the Standalone(Play On PC) runs the game mode, so if you haven’t programmed in an exit menu, you won’t get one. Standalone can always be exited by bringing up console(~) and using the ‘exit’ command.

I can just write the others up into our feedback. Since they’re feature requests, I put them in myself instead of having different assigned people having to look at them. Thank you very much, I especially like the idea about making node connections switchable between fore/background.

-Alexander

1. Sounds like a good idea, we’ll do that.

2. We agree that comment editing is unintuitive right now. There are some technical issues that make double clicking on the bubble tricky, but I do like that solution best, we’ll try!

3. [See Alexander’s comments]

4. We actually tried drawing wires in front of nodes, but that often means nodes have lots of wires crossing over them which makes them hard to read and interact with.