Blueprint Parent Cast to Child Type

Im currently getting a warning on a Down Cast to a Child type from Parent class.

Though Child class clearly inherits from Parent.

I can alter my logic to work around this easy enough but i wasnt sure if this is a Bug or im doing something wrong.

Hi DevilsD,

I’ve assigned a member of support staff to look into this, and they’ll post here if they have any questions for you. Thanks for report!

Hello DevilsD,

If you would like to gain access to information in your child actor you will need to get a reference to child actor before casting. This can be done in a few different ways. One way would be to get all actors of class. I hope that this information helps.

Make it a great day

Can you take another look at images please. I dont want to access information from an instance, if you looked at images you would see logic im trying to use.

BP_Portal_Red is spawned in world as an instance, it inherits from BP_Portal where logic is being used. Therefore i should be able to downcast to a deriving class type, if this is an illegal operation then warning message is incorrect.

BP_Portal_Red clearly inherits from BP_Portal which warning is trying to deny.

Can anyone comment on this please?

Hello DevilsD,

After taking another look at issue it would appear that you are correct about warning message. I have written up a report ( UE-19197) to change warning and I have submitted it to developers for further consideration. I will provide updates with any pertinent information as it becomes available. Thank you for your time and information.

Make it a great day

Greetings

Recently we encountered this problem when we updated our project from using 4.13 to 4.15.
No warnings in 4.13, but they started appearing in 4.15. after we recompile a blueprint.