"Blueprint Multiplayer" Video Series is teaching a lot of wrong things

GDC is over, so I hope this gets a bit more love now (:
[MENTION=8] [/MENTION]

Yeah, wow, this is bad. I really don’t wanna be mean to anyone trying to help folks learn (you’re all lovely!) but this shouldn’t be online. Replication is a challenging enough thing to learn about without getting wrong information from an official source!

I can say for myself that when I first started learning replication, I spent a good week wondering what was so wrong with my usage of RPCs, because of poor use in learning examples. Change would be welcome :slight_smile:

I’m glad you guys are looking into updating this series.

If I could offer some feedback, I would LOVE to see a tutorial series that covers hosting/joining games, replicating movement/simple shooting (could be the projectile from the first person example project with a few quick impact particle / audio examples to show the client/server relationship), replicating simple score and health variables and allowing a list of each players score to be viewed in game, and having a win/lose state for each player (first player to a set score wins). Sounds like a lot of stuff but if each component was broken down to the most simple level possible where it works with no unnecessary depth, it would be hugely useful. I think this series focused a bit too much on UI and user customisation options, when I think the real learning value is in knowing why and how to set up each base system (UI, Shooting Replication, etc.) which then makes it easy to extend on your own as much as you’d like.

I think a simple Free For All mode that works online would be extremely valuable as it would cover not only joining games but also having gameplay elements working in those games that we could then use as a base and extend ourselves. “ShooterGame” was such an excellent example project, but there’s no blueprint equivalent that comes close. I really hope that this could become a reality as it would be endlessly useful, especially since the older excellent tutorials from Billy Bramer don’t seem to be online anymore. Thanks Epic!

Hi! First of all, thank you guys for even doing these series in the first place! Even if this series presents wrong information I still took a lot out of it. Now, I haven’t finished the series (we decided that networking would be less expensive with a service like photon realtime, which forces us to forgo UE4 replication and networking framework). We now want to add quick and simple LAN just to show off the product as it stands. Do any other resources exist that tackle this topic besides 's compendium?

It’s way past GDC… and I am hoping that this Live Stream:Replication | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube was NOT the answer to the issue at hand. Is the any update on this for the community?

Sorry for the silence on this. I’m going to spin up some discussions internally and see what we can do to improve the situation here.

I’ve been trying to create video game development training and failing since the beta and while i understand it’s not exactly easy and very vague. It’s probably one of the more important and hardest part of being apart of a game engine in my opinion.
Why? Simple.

This is the very essence of almost every tutorial in existence. They are how to / we solve for x tutorials. The people teaching are giving their students fish, instead of teaching them to fish. It’s easy to give fish, it’s not so easy to teach someone to fish and I’m at fault for this too. While I believe how to do x videos are in fact necessary and useful for people to understand how to do thing specifically, there are many students missing the why. The videos solving for x never really include any information as to why something was designed the way it is, why something was used over another option, or do they ever talk about how one might implement it differently. Maybe for good reason, but what if we started thinking about training content differently? I feel this video series is a perfect example of why we might need a new kind of training. The series talks about a front end to the multiplayer framework by means of a lobby.

It’s not much of a game more than it is a framework, so the training is slightly misleading. To me, this is a massive scope, even for an entire series from epic. It’s just over 8 hours and 17 minutes. Aside from the large scope, the tutorial actually repeats itself essentially. You do the same tasks over and over and over again using slightly different logic to rearrange different data. In more than one way too. The series could be cut down significantly if instead of the monkey see monkey do type of tutorial, if we were taught the fundamentals behind how it was developed. For example, a significant portion of this series is actually just UMG with zero networking involved. I understand that this series was to supply us with a way to get started easy. It did an okay job, but I wonder, does it do more harm than good to supply content instead of training? Because I really feel as if this tutorial is more of a how to do umg ui synchronization rather than a “Blueprint Multiplayer” tutorial.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but why is someone who doesn’t understand the fundamentals of replication guiding new users on replicated content though a multiplayer system? I only say this because you seem to gloss over so much basic stuff that is relevant to networking and replication. I understand not can know everything, especially building a series from an example made from someone else and that you have limited time. But the thing is, networking replication requires the people creating the replicated content to understand it from a base fundamental level. It cannot be taught by the same type of training as i do x you do x. See in something like how do i make a fps? vs how do i make a multiplayer fps? you can do a i do x you do x for the fps, however the same cannot be said about a multiplayer fps.

I find it hard to believe many people got anything out of what replication is, how to actually use it properly, how it relates to the network, and how they might implement their own ideas. Not because of the erroneous content, but because at no point do you teach core fundamentals of replication. Which for a “blueprint multiplayer” seems like it would be the subject. After reading the Content examples for Networking, Just going over them alone would teach people far more about “Blueprint Multiplayer” fundamentals than this entire series.

I don’t want to come off as ungrateful or like i being mean. I really appreciate all epic has done for the community. I really do.

, any update on this? It has been a little over 3 months!

Why did still nothing happen? The tutorial is still online and is still teaching wrong stuff.
I can’t count how often users pop up that code wrong based on this tutorial.

GDC is looooooong over. Next one is nearer than the old one. The live stream can’t be the answer to this and if it is, then at least take down this tutorial.
During the time that this issue has been around, you could’ve easily put someone into rewriting this tutorial. The base is there, just fix the totally obvious coding issues and recorde it.

+1 I really trust in Epic to use the correct standard that would be used internally in their official tutorials, really hope this gets a revamp!

I just came across this thread as I was about to start this series. Would you guys recommend me even go through it? I’m somewhat comfortable with blueprints already but I want to lay a firm foundation as I begin to learn multiplayer networking.

If not, is there a suggestion series that is better, maybe even not official but more foundationally correct?

Cheers!

As someone who has been following this tutorial exactly, somewhere around video 21 (possibly due to rerecording?) Wes made a bunch of changes off-camera, failed to revert all of them before resuming, and following along now causes a bug in the SwapCharacter event severe enough to crash the editor when testing, which I assume is due to some variable not actually being set properly in some other function. And… I spent the last 3 days going back over videos with a fine toothed comb looking for what I might have missed, because it’s an official tutorial, and certainly looks like everything was recorded.

The last official tutorial I went through (drag and drop live training) had a similar problem, where he was working from the wrong file and following along requires one to skip ahead to a good chunk of part 3 to catch up.

I also have to second the complaint that once this gets into the real meat of the networking, it stops explaining the logic behind things and just turns into a “do what I do” sort of thing, which doesn’t really teach things well enough to debug this myself.

A few hiccups like this are basically inevitable with this sort of video tutorial, since we’re looking at several hours on a two monitor setup recreating an elaborate sample, explaining on the way, and trying to chop it all into manageable self-contained episodes, and fixing things on after the fact … basically means rerecording the whole thing (or restoring from carefully labeled archives of project states between videos) but… why are these even in a video format at all?

There’s a definite benefit to featuring video of tests between major steps, so people can very clearly see how things should look in action, and tips you’re more likely to remember if you’re keeping up a running narration, but outside of maybe a single introduction to the interface to demonstrate a few features of the GUI, throwing tutorials like these together as just web pages with composited screenshots of complete events and functions with explanatory paragraphs of what they do would be much easier to produce, follow along with, double back and debug, and most importantly, update down the road when errors are caught, or a new engine version changes the most efficient way to do something (or the look of a node).

At this point, I would really love, first off, either a guide to fixing some problems this tutorial left me, and/or a project download/pile of screenshots of how everything should look that I can compare what I have to, and I could also really stand a long-winded explanation of replication, server vs. client events, and… if I’m really honest, while it’s a bit off topic here, the functional nuances between player controllers, game modes, player states, game states, and level blueprints, vs. just dumping not-tied-to-particular-object code into whatever random blueprint. A lot of what-goes-where makes some sense from a basic organizational perspective, but I know I’m bound to break something eventually from how fuzzy I am on this point.

Hello,

Please, can anyone give me a download link for the “Unreal Project files” of these videos?Blueprint Multiplayer: Project Overview | 01 | v4.11 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube
Thanks!

Spent an unspeakable amount of hours trying to wrap my head around this tutorial for the past month or so. Rewatching and rewatching checking over code and have been beating myself up for not being able to make it work properly. I am sure everything I’ve done is identical to what’s being shown in the videos and now I understand why it doesn’t work. It kind of works for the most part but in the most current version of the engine the Playerinfo never gets passed into the “connected player” player card in the lobby menu. Watching the “player info” through the debugger it seems to stop right at the “Update player window” node and never gets further than that. I can’t find any solutions to this over a year later and it breaks my heart. Even more so knowing the videos are still up and there’s potentially thousands of people stumped and stuck with bad info much like myself.

Many thanks to all who’ve contributed to the creation of educational content. I’d be completely lost without you.

I’m wondering if there have been any updates on this?

Please Epic,

Can you guys give us a status update ? Nothing happened almost half a year later. Why not subcontract the video series production or hire someone dedicated to making those video series?

It is one reason for choosing another engine. If new users cannot get relevant, correct and updated learning material, it does not matter how fantastic the engine is.

I dont think you talk about the same videos I found: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b…king-tutorials are these wrong too, the switch placement? I dont recall much about game mode, instances etc. related to multiplayer ?

Where should I go and how do I get started correct understanding multiplayer?

No idea, if the original Networking tutorials have something bad in it.
The tutorial we are talking about is the Lobby Tutorial on their Youtube channel.

To get started with UE4, you could read my compendium.

It’s on the page.

The tutorial works fine i remember i watched it all and the project run fine without any issue, most of what ****mentioned was codes not in the right place or shouoldn’t done that way if you look again on his criticism you will see there are no major fault that will break the point of the project so go watch the tutorial and come here to understand some minor issue, the tutorial is really good and one of the best. there are no many mp tutorial available so i wish epic make another advance series on replication and all that stuff.